Why I'm Glad My Boyfriend Goes To A Different College

1260

As hard as it is to be in a relationship at two different schools, it definitely has its perks:

1. You are less likely to become dependent on him.

Many times, couples that go to the same college seem to be with each other 24/7 and are lost without each other. This isn't always a bad thing, but it's never been my style. Being at different schools will allow you to be your own person instead of only being known as your boyfriend's girlfriend.

2. You don't have to look cute every day if he's not there.

Even though your boyfriend should love you when you're wearing sweatpants and no makeup, you probably try to look cute for him most every time you hang out. It's nice not having to always worry about impressing someone everyday. This doesn't mean never putting any effort into your appearance while you're at school, but it helps not having to do it every day

3. There is always time to hang out with your friends.

I like to hang out with my friends just as much as I like to hang out with my boyfriend. When you go to different schools, you will usually only have time to see each other about once or twice a week, or even less than that. This allows time for you to hang out with friends or do things on your own when you're not with your boyfriend.

4. Seeing each other is more special.

When you don't see each other every day, you appreciate the time you do get to spend with each other even more. Hearing his voice on the phone is nice but getting to wrap your arms around him for a hug is even better.

5. It's hard to get sick of each other.

If you only see your boyfriend a couple times a month or so, it's quite difficult to get tired of seeing him.

6. You learn to communicate extremely well.

With talking mostly over texts, FaceTime, or phone calls, you learn to understand when one person is being sarcastic, feeling sad, or has something on their mind. Communication is a really important part of a relationship, so improving this aspect can strengthen you both as a couple. It's also nice to have someone to vent to about your day.

7. School can actually be your number one priority.

You have more time to focus on homework and studying when you aren't tempted to drive down the road to their apartment or walk to their dorm room. You can even use it as motivation when you have a test coming up by saying, "If I study now and do well on my test, then I can go see my boyfriend this weekend."

8. You have more money to spend on dates because they don't happen as frequently.

Going out to dinner every night or going to the movies every week can become really expensive. When you only spend a couple of days a month or so together, you save a lot of money. Not only will you not be going on dates every night, but you enjoy the little, everyday activities just as much. Sometimes, just cuddling up on the couch and watching TV is just as much fun because you rarely get to do that together.

9. Different schools means different people.

Visiting your boyfriend gives you lots of opportunities to meet new people and make new friends and vice versa. Who doesn't love making new friends?

10. You argue a lot less.

When you aren't constantly hanging out with your boyfriend, not only do your communication skills increase, but your arguments decrease. This makes for both a happier you and a happier boyfriend.

I don't like being apart from my boyfriend, but it's nice having space to do our own thing. Although things aren't always perfect, being at different schools really teaches you a lot.