London: My First Opportunity Of A Lifetime

Crossing the pond is worth the leap.
357

By the title of this post, you probably get an idea of what it’s going to be about: PUPPIES! Just kidding; I’m studying abroad this semester in London, England! Sitting at the airport, waiting to board the first of two flights, I thought I should write what is going through my mind at the moment.

So, first impressions:

1. I. HATE. GOODBYES.

Saying goodbye to my family is like a stab to the heart every time. It sucks knowing that I won’t see them every day for a great amount of time. I’m pretty close to my family and the time difference just makes it even harder; but, hey, we’ll make it work, right?

2. I am so scared!

I have no idea what to expect from this other than what I’ve been told. But, is that enough? I’m going to live, study and participate in an internship in a foreign country all in less than 5 months. Does that not sound crazy, in a way? I am a freshman from Puerto Rico; I went through this transition about 6 months ago, and now, I’m doing it again! “What if something bad happens? What if my roommate and I don’t get along? What if I end up not liking it?” These what-if questions eat me up sometimes, because you never know the possibilities and/or the outcomes of things. Yet…

3. I am very excited!

I know it probably sounds weird after saying I am scared, but it’s true. This opportunity is rare and what better way to embrace it than by facing my fear head on and just going for it, right?

Overall, this opportunity is something I hope I can someday look back and reminisce about the good times and experiences that came of it. I can’t wait for what is to come and everything that going to London will offer for me. Also, I hope that this can help those that wish to study abroad to feel like they are not alone when it comes to fearing the what if’s; it is okay to be scared, but you should never let your fear get in the way of opportunities of a lifetime. So, if you are one of these people, don’t be afraid to take a chance! Like my dad says to me “Voy a ti y pago doble” (I’m betting on you and I’d pay double).

Good luck!