You Need to Show Your Local Art/Independent Film Theater Some Love

Our generation is too caught up in the "Netflix and chill" culture.

13
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/25/636628130978761806-2000837750_636627219629264503-1308077524_UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ca.jpg

As I walked into my city's only, and perhaps even fading independent cinema, which – according to one of its board members – is struggling to appeal to young adults my age – I looked around examining the faces and taking guesses at the ages of the individuals around me.

As I wore my bell-bottom, ripped, Levi's jeans and my psychedelic Pink Floyd shirt, walking in company of my friend – the only other person my age who seems to like Elvis Presley and vintage films – I came to realize that out of a solid fifty people, which seemed to be an unlikely high turnout according to some of the board members who spoke before the movie was screened, we were the only people below the age of 25 who attended the screening.

Classic cinema is beautiful and often has more substance than many of today's superficial and money-grubbing film productions. Showing appreciation for classic cinema and love for your local independent movie theater is important in an age when many of the things that are shown to us on television or advertisements are lacking in meaning and emotion.

Furthermore, classic cinema and independent movie theaters are fading in popularity (perhaps for obvious reasons). In the digital age, and coming from a generation that is all about technology and enjoys the accessibility of streaming apps and high-tech devices – it is not surprising that today's young adults don't usually venture to the movie theater and enjoy the beauty of a film on the big screen.

We have become so immersed in the "Netflix and Chill" culture, that we are forgetting to appreciate the simplicity yet the beauty of seeing a great film in theaters.

To anyone who is reading this: show some love to your local or your nearest independent/art theater. Many of these theaters are historical or have been around for a long time, and are struggling to attract young people like me. You'd be surprised how much you'll enjoy seeing a great, underrated film on a big screen!