Living In and Making Grades: A Horrible Relationship

Living in your chapter house is one of the most amazing experiences you can have in college, but don't let this "time of your life" experience suck your GPA down the drain. Here are a few tips to make grades while living in.

15

Living in my fraternity house will go down in my life as one of the most hectic yet meaningful experiences I'll ever have. Living in a house with 24 of your brothers and having about fifty more stop in every day can get a little chaotic and hazardous, especially on the weekends...but isn’t that how it should be? It is and will be the exact same way when you come back in ten years but that will only be worth it if you can make the grades and actually finish college with a degree. 

Over the year and a half I've lived in my fraternity house, I've learned so much. I've made many mistakes and hard learned lessons about the horrible relationship that is living in the house and making your grades. In a place that is filled with distractions, immaturity and the constant need to intermingle with the opposite sex, it’s hard to even remember that you go to school in the first place. So here are a few tips to make sure that your exciting year or two in your chapter house doesn't turn into a year or two sucking at school. 

First and most importantly boys and girls, go to class if it’s the last thing on earth you do. One of the easiest ways to just get the grade you want and pass a class whether it’s the easiest 101 class that a grad student could teach or organic chemistry, is just by showing up. Who would think if you go to these classes you pay thousands of dollars for you would ACTUALLY learn something?! So go to class whether you’re sick, sleepy, or went way too hard the night before; you can always just sleep afterwards. Yes, living in you will always see those lounging around, being lazy and yes you want to go to the pool with your brothers or sisters so much more than you do class. Just remember, no one is going to pick the idiot that failed out of school because they screwed around too much over the successful man or woman with a degree and a good job. 

Secondly, living in, you will never be able to go thirty minutes without someone trying to come in your room or hearing some god awful noise that could range from music, to power tools, to anything that could be associated with debauchery. You’ll have friends that live in with you that have never understood what a hint is and wont until you hit them in the face with it. The only way to conquer this is by going to the haven of the nerds, the library. Yeah, you know that place with a ton of books that have all those words in them and there’s always that one lady that takes her job way to seriously? Yeah, that place will be one of very few places for you to actually be productive and accomplish something while you’re in living in. If you leave this school without anything but the burning hatred of being in a library for more than ten minutes then you know you at least tried.

Lastly, this is the hardest and most annoying tip that you need to be able to be successful in school while living in: put school in front of EVERYTHING else. While going to school and living in, you need to realize this whole heavenly and holy Greek world we have going on is only because we’re going to school. This means that it must always come first. You have a date dash the night before a test? You know you shouldn't go. You want to stay up all night with the guys or girls doing whatever god knows what till the sun comes up? You know you’ll sleep all day and miss every class. One of the biggest stepping stones in life is growing up and realizing what is and isn't important, so you need to realize that anything with school and you grades trumps just about everything with the house. 

If you at least lazily follow these few quick tips to not screw up your college career while living in the house, you’ll be just fine and might even make it out with something your mom can be proud of. Living in the house might be an ugly mix with your academics and could totally hurt your grades but, let’s be honest, in twenty years will you think about the second college algebra test you totally aced or are you going to remember the crazy night you spent in your chapter house? Just remember those amazing memories are only worth it if you make school and your future a priority too.