Living Life As An Introverted Extrovert

Living Life As An Introverted Extrovert

For those of us that fall outside of the group.

30
Living Life As An Introverted Extrovert
The Huffington Post

There's nothing more that we love in our society today than labels and categories. Sometimes it seems that we are endlessly organizing ourselves with different names and labels. Two very common labels that we often hear people using are "introvert" or "extrovert". People at parties, having the time of their life proudly boast of their extrovert status, while quiet people enjoying time in the library whisper about their introversion.

However, there are some of us that simply cannot find their place in these two broad yet specific labels. This is to all of the introverted extroverts (or may extroverted introverts?) out there who are caught in the seemingly endless flip flop between outgoing and self-oriented.

For myself personally, some days I feel as if I am the true extrovert, I want nothing more than to spend the whole day with friends, having grand adventures and being the life of the party. While other days I want nothing more than to be on my own, to enjoy Netflix, quiet and solitude. These changes can often confuse people, some people see me as the loud, outgoing funny one while others see me as a shy and quiet mouse. People often wonder if they're talking about the same person.

People will often want to try to push you into one category or the other. Some friends will see you as only the extrovert while others only the introvert. Please know that both of these sides of you are equally valid and important. Some of us love a good night out with friends but may then need the next day to recharge. Some days you just may not feel like going out at all, rather spending the day doing what you want to do with the most important person in your life, yourself.

Don't feel like you need to be pushed into one label or the other. It's okay to blur the lines and allow yourself to be exactly who you are. Despite what people say, there are very few people who will fit into labels as neatly as they like to think that they do. Even the craziest of party animals will sometimes spend the day enjoying alone time and the even the shyest kid you know will let lose sometimes, especially with their close friends. Don't assume that because you know someone in one situation that you know them in all situations. While certain situations may pull out my extroverted side with ease, others will make me feel like more than an introvert than ever.

At the end of the day, be nice to your local introverted extroverts, because maybe when we really think about it, there is one in all of us.