Living At Home For College Is Just As Bad As You'd Think

Why you shouldn't be ashamed for staying home with your parents while you go to college.

93
Jesse Roberts

I am a Full-time college student. I also live with my parents. Is this combination terrible?

Honestly, not even a little bit.

I have a lot of friends who seem to feel sorry when I tell them I live at home still and commute. The truth though? I should be feeling sorry for them.

Sure, living with your parents can be pretty awful. Them always asking you where you're going, giving you an abundant amount of life advice you never asked for, constantly telling you to clean your room. Though to be frank, I've heard some much more horrifying tales of the terrible roommate than the obnoxious parent.

So there you already have one bonus! Your roommates may be terrible and annoying 50-something year olds but at least they don't leave mold growing in the frying pan in the sink that you've wanted to use for a week but won't wash yourself based on principle.

Okay, so sure your parents aren't slobs, but what are the other benefits to being a grown ass person and still living with Mom and Dad? Well, money for sure! Saving it I mean, I highly doubt your parents want you to stay home bad enough that they'll pay you.

Maybe living at home isn't as glamorous as having my own apartment and being a stone's throw from campus, but it is saving me a ton of money and that is basically worth every "annoying" thing that I have to put up with.

They buy groceries (I'm talking good groceries, not a ton of ramen), pay for me to have electricity and will even put gas in my car if I ask nicely enough. It's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Being able to eat my mom's cooking on a regular basis definitely doesn't hurt either.

I mean hey, if you dreamt your whole life about going away to a college a million miles from home then more power to you. But with this economy having a serious lack of jobs for me and my fellow Millennials, getting to live at home often times feels like a blessing instead of a curse.

It is pretty lame that I can't put my epic hosting skills to the test and throw ragers, but that's what friends are for! If you do plan to stay home, just make some friends around campus!

You'll be surprised how encouraging your friends will be when it comes to sleeping on their couch versus driving home after a long night.

Don't get me wrong, I long for the day when I can have my own space away from their parental gaze, but I want to ensure I am able to secure that life and set myself up for a reliable future. By not having to worry about the insane living costs most college students have to deal with, I'm able to save for the future and not feel guilty when I feel compelled to treat myself.

So before you make all the plans to pack up and disappear, really think about how terrible your parents are and whether or not leaving is worth all the extra money you'll owe in student loans.