Why I Loved Living Alone My Freshman Year

Living by yourself isn't for everyone, but it is definitely for me.

699

As a senior in high school, I could not wait to take on the new adventures that college had to offer. I was ready for the new classes and new city. But, I never was too thrilled about the idea of having a roommate. The thought of sharing a dorm with anyone, especially a stranger, didn't sound very appealing to me.

When it came time to sign a lease for the upcoming fall semester, one of my older friends referred me to an "off-campus luxury dorm." Obviously, I had no idea what this meant, but I was excited to find out. I found a dorm that was in a great location, reasonably priced, and for one person. It doesn't get any better than that!

Many people, including my mom, were worried that I was going to feel lonely. Freshman year is hard for everyone. I was living on my own for the first time, trying to make friends and living in a new place. But, in all honesty, living alone helped keep me sane. After a long day of classes or a late night of studying at the library, I was able to come home and simply relax. I didn't have to worry about my roommate having company over or making too much noise. My new "home away from home" was all mine and I loved it.

I am the type of person who doesn't allow myself to get lonely. If I ever felt like I was spending too much time by myself, I would call one of my friends and ask them to get dinner, study or just to come over and hang out. If you are the type of person that constantly needs social interaction or you just like having someone with you at all times, then living on your own might not be the best idea. During that year, I learned many things about myself. Some may say that I missed the "freshman dorm experience," but I did plenty of learning and growing on my own.