From The Big Sister Who's Already Lived Through Being The Coach's Kid

High school can be tough, but you're my little brother, so you can make it.
272

High school can be intimidating no matter who you are. For some, it can be scarier than others. For some schools, high school starts at ninth, tenth, or even seventh grade. At Gaston, where I graduated from, they start in the seventh grade. So that means for all sixth graders you will be in high school next year.

Ending sixth grade can be awesome you feel like the top dog because you're the oldest in the building, but you know you're about to start seventh grade where you will be at the bottom of the food chain.

For you, my little brother, you are going into a whole new world. In the high school, your mom and dad will be in the same hallway as you. Honestly, you will probably see them about every time you are in the hallway. While that may seem cool don't make a habit of constantly going to their rooms. Some kids may think it is cool, but others may pick on you for it.

I know it's hard to listen to me because I am so much older than you. I mean by the time you start I will have been out of high school for four years. Yes, you can call me old; I still know what I'm talking about though.

When I was there it was cool because dad is the coach. It's still cool, but it's harder for you because you play for him. Little buddy, I want you to work hard for everything on and off the field.

High school can be the best time, but it can also be hell on earth. Literally, I'm not joking. There will be some days where you are just praying to make it to graduation, but do not worry that day will come.

Over the next five years, you will probably hear that exact sentence a thousand and one times. While you may roll your eyes and say "yeah right," the people saying that are telling you nothing but the truth.

Over the course of the next five years, you are going to grow and learn so much. You will learn how to execute the plays your dad lays out for you. There will be nights though you might want to walk off that field and never go back, While that day will come remember to look back at where you were when you started this journey. Remember that hard work always pays off.

That football game is always going to be important, but remember so is school. Without the grades, you cannot play so don't let them fall.

Also with your mom and dad in the same hallway, it may get tough at home, but always remember I'm just a phone call away. I am here every step of the way cheering you on. That is what I'm here for.

Finally, even when you want to quit and give up remember that you are my little brother, and remember the day you saw me graduate and how excited you were for me. That will be me the day you walk across that stage. So have fun and soak it in, kid. You're going to kill it in seventh grade.