Live In a Studio Apartment? Here Are 5 Tips to Maximize Your Small Living Space.

Studio apartments are typically 600 square feet or less, utilizing the walls as much as possible.

80829

For many, nothing tops the apartment lifestyle. Affordable rent, access to amenities and other perks make a studio apartment ideally suited to their needs — particularly for young singles.

However, there is no denying that studio apartments, in particular, don't offer much in the way of storage space. While this may be fine for a college student who doesn't need much more than a bed and a place to eat, others may quickly find themselves running out of room.

As Mike Wolf, director of marketing for Inspired Closets explains, however, careful planning and some creative storage solutions can ensure that you will be able to maximize your living space without feeling overly cramped.

1.Utilize Vertical Storage

"When floorspsce is at premium, start by thinking up," says Wolf.

"The same amount of floorspace can provide several times more storage when you truly take advantage of the walls. If you need to, you could even extend your storage all the way up to the ceiling. Keep the items that you use the most often at eye level, and store lesser-used items at the top. This is a great starting point in any part of your apartment, be it the kitchen or bedroom closet."

Because studio apartments are typically 600 square feet or less, utilizing the walls as much as possible will keep the rest of the room feeling more open, and make it easier to navigate.

2. Use Custom Solutions for Smarter Organization

No two apartment-dwellers are the same — and neither are their possessions. This can sometimes make storage difficult, resulting in a disorganized space filled with visual clutter.

"Custom storage organization systems can be designed to cater to your specific needs," Wolf explains. "Typically used for closets, these custom solutions are designed specifically for you, with a series of panels, hanging rods, shelves, and other features that help you better organize clothes, shoes and other accessories. They can even be built with features like adjustable shelves, pull-out jewelry drawers and hampers."

A designated space for each category (such as jewelry or shoes) will also better protect the items in storage. Better yet, custom closets can be more aesthetically pleasing with a mix of open shelves, drawers and doors that let you display or hide items.

3. Take Advantage of Hidden Storage Areas

Wolf notes that there are many neglected or overlooked areas that could be utilized for storage, but aren't — regardless of whether you're living in a studio apartment or a 10,000-square foot luxury home. No matter how small your space, rethinking how you utilize it can unveil new storage opportunities.

"Many of the places we use every day could also double as storage — be it the space on top of the kitchen cabinets, or even the floor under your bed or sofa. And you might be surprised to learn how strategic your furniture choices can be in helping you maximize storage. For example, ottomans and platform beds provide built-in storage drawers or cubbies where you can keep extra bedding, linens, towels and clothing. Closet storage shelving is the perfect home for rarely used items that can easily fit on top of your closet storage shelving. There's almost always more space available, if you just think creatively."

4. Consider a Storage-Enhanced Room Divider

A defining aspect of a studio apartment isn't its size — it is actually the fact that the kitchen, bedroom and living area are all part of one continuous room. Despite this, many studio apartment dwellers will install partial room dividers in an effort to create a sense that these are truly separate spaces.

"Studio apartment room dividers can be another sneaky way to add some extra storage space," Wolf suggests. "Whether you're using a custom divider with built-in storage or an open bookshelf, this allows you to accomplish two tasks at once. You're still able to separate different areas of your apartment, but you also now have an extra space to organize or display smaller items. Smart placement of room dividers can go a long way in helping a studio apartment feel more like a traditional space."

5. Go Behind the Door

A studio apartment typically won't have as many doors as you'd find in a standard apartment. Other than the entry door, most studio apartments will only have a door separating the bathroom from the rest of the living space, and possibly a closet door. Still, these represent additional storage opportunities for individuals tight on space.

"The space behind the door is surprisingly versatile," says Wolf.

"Racks and hooks can provide compact storage space for everything from hats and jackets to towels and jewelry. As with any other part of a studio apartment, think vertically — you can take advantage of the entire length of the door with a custom storage rack. Best of all, storing these items on the back of the door keeps them out of sight and out of mind when they aren't needed."

You Have More Storage Space Than You Realize

As these examples reveal, those who live in studio apartments don't have to deal with endless piles of clutter or rent out a storage unit.

By taking advantage of unique storage solutions and maximizing how you use each part of your apartment, you'll find that you have plenty of room for your possessions. With smarter storage solutions, you can enjoy all the perks of a studio apartment while eliminating one of its primary drawbacks.