Little Writer
Friendships

Little Writer

It is the thing I do to express every emotion that I have ever felt.

121
Little Writer
Annika Tomlin

Ever since I could remember I have been writing. Whether it be a secret note to be passed along to a classmate on a scrap piece of paper. Or a poem about a cheetah. Or even a paper on why we need friends. I have written more papers than I can even remember writing. Every once in a while I get the urge to pull out my old writing and see how far I have come and have yet to go. I have papers from back when I was in elementary school. I'm talking fourth-grade papers on cats. Yes, you read that correctly. I wrote a full paper on cats in the fourth grade. Don't ask me why, because honestly I am as confused as you are. I will say though it is a funny paper to read and realize how accurate what I wrote is true now being a proud cat mom. I should mention, I never owned a cat until a little over three years ago. So I wrote a whole paper about an animal I knew nothing firsthand about. This just shows me how wide my imagination was back then. The universe was waiting for me to explore it and I was ready.

Rereading what I wrote all those years ago brings back so many emotions depending on what I'm reading. If its the paper on the cats, I'm not going to lie, I was dying laughing at myself for a few minutes. If its the poem on the cheetah, I know, I had a thing for cats. But the poem was so well-written for my age. The rhyme and the flow were beyond my years and it amazes me that I wrote that so long ago.

It's weird reliving something from your past. I can't remember why I wrote most of the things I did back then, but I remember the hard work I put into each and every piece I wrote and continue to write today. People ask me why I chose to be a journalism major. I normally say it's because I took a journalism course in high school, fell in love with the subject, and was part of the school's newspaper for three years. It was my best choice to follow through with my high school legacy. But when I'm rereading all the things I have written since I was a little kid I realize I was always supposed to write. It doesn't matter what the subject is or in what format that it is written. All that matters at the end of the day is that I get to put my creativity out in the world for people to see, or at least me to relive several years down the line. Writing has always been my passion. It is the thing I do to express every emotion that I have ever felt. Writing is my life.

I want to share a story I wrote nearly ten years ago, but I feel it is still relevant today. I hope you enjoy my young mind.

"My fellow classmates,

I'm here to tell you that we need friends in our lives. Without friends, we'll grow up lonely, having nobody to talk to, nobody to laugh with, nobody to lean on. Nobody will help us have a good life.

No friends in our lives would mean we would be lonely. In some cases, we would be as lonely as a caterpillar in a cocoon and be friendly butterflies.

If you didn't have friends in your life, you would have nobody to talk to. At lunch, you would sit alone, and watch everybody else talk to each other while you eat then leave for recess. You wouldn't be able to tell anybody about your secrets, or who you like, or anything. Friends are pieces of a puzzle. The puzzle is your life. You need all the pieces to finish your life. Without friends to talk to, you wouldn't have anybody to make you laugh. It would be as shattering every bone in your body.

A little girl at the age of five went to a school called the Yellow Brick Road. Walking inside she started running in the playground. She slid her fingers across her brother's shoulder, then blurted out the words, "You're it." Running helplessly she climbed up the play equipment, then headed for the monkey bars. In a split second, she reached for the first bar, then she was slightly pushed in the back, so she plummeted to the ground, landing on her arm, causing it to break. Instead of a staff member fiddling with her fingers, she ran out and assisted her to the area near the door. Then called her parents to say the sobbing girl broke her arm. Instead of the lady paying no attention to her, she helped her calm down while she was crying in agony, waiting for her parents to come.

When we were going to kindergarten the first day you could go up to somebody and ask them, "Will you be my friend?" Then she or he would probably say yes and you would be friends. When you're in fourth, fifth, or sixth grade, it isn't easy to find friends, You can't really do what you did in kindergarten. You have to get to know the person and know what the like, and know if you can trust him or her. Then they will become your friends.

Without friends, I wouldn't be as helpful as I am now. I would be sitting at a lunch table alone, staring at everybody else having a conversation with people around them. I chose to be sitting at the table that has many people to talk to, and we are all friends. What do you choose?"