10 Little Things You Do Every Day That Can Kill You

I don't think brushing your teeth is a good idea.

115
Pixels

As humans, we're surrounded by danger every day. What's more, we're actually the ones who are putting ourselves at risk and we don't even know it. Everything from chewing gum to drinking water can potentially end our lives. But we do it anyway. Why? Maybe it's because we love living on the edge. But mostly, we just don't give a damn.

1. Taking selfies

The act of taking a photograph won't kill you, but the heights that you'll go (literally) to capture that perfect moment in time can end badly. In 2016, selfies claimed the lives of nine people, who fell to their demise, were ravaged by hungry animals or hit by vehicles. Still want to say "Cheese!" with that selfie stick in your hand?

2. Texting while walking

According to a report by the Governor's Highway Safety Association, "distracted walking" (aka texting while strolling) caused 6,000 pedestrian deaths in 2017. But fear not, for the National Safety Council (NSC) has implemented a rigorous agenda that will eliminate distracted walking fatalities: the council urges everyone to "look left, right and left again before crossing the street." Thank you, NSC, for quoting the wise words of my mother!

3. Drinking coffee

68 million Americans drink three cups of joe a day, 30 million Americans chug down more than five coffee cups a day and more than 21 million drown their intestines with more than six cups of coffee a day. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), 51 people died from caffeine in 2017. Ph.D. Danielle Wikoff, who leads health sciences at ToxStrategies Inc. told Healthline Magazine of these fatalities, "Many of those [caffeine-related deaths] were associated with exposure on the order or 10 grams of caffeine or more, which is quite a bit of caffeine." Long story short, just drink less coffee, people!

4. Death by chewing gum

You may want to reconsider putting that Orbit Spearmint gum in your mouth. NCBI has revealed that a 24-year-old man inexplicably died after ingesting chewing gum. Watch out, you may be next...

5. Wearing a scarf

Before you set off for a night out in your posh scarf, you may want to hear this. The harmless neck garment that you wear to keep yourself warm has caused two nightmarish deaths involving machinery. If you're a careful scarf-wearer, then you'll probably survive. But don't say I didn't warn you when your next visit to Macy's includes an escalator painted in red.

6. Brushing your teeth

The dentist tells you to brush your teeth, but should you really listen? According to MedlinePlus, a toothpaste overdose can lead to "convulsions, heart attacks, shock, tremors, vomiting" and more.

7. Taking Tylenol

Tylenol is composed of a pain reliever called acetaminophen. In the United States, 500 people die annually due to acetaminophen overdose, and more than 60,000 people suffer from acetaminophen-induced liver damage each year. Next time you've got a grueling ache, you may just want to swallow the pain instead of Tylenol.

8. Taking a visit to the vending machine

Considering vending machines kill more people each year than sharks, maybe its best to lay off the chips and opt for some fruit. Between 1978 and 1995, 37 people were killed attempting to retrieve their junk-food fix from vending machines. Happy snacking!

9. Eating soy sauce

In 2013, a 19-year-old kid downed a quart of soy sauce on a dare, subsequently landing himself in a coma and nearly dying from a sodium overdose. So just what happens to your body when you overdose on sodium? Hypernatremia occurs when one's sodium level exceeds 145 mmol/L. According to The Week, hypernatremia "makes the body's cells — including the important ones in the brain — swell up, causing brain damage or even death. Other symptoms include confusion, convulsions, fatigue and nausea."

10. Drinking too much water

Turns out alcohol isn't the only thing that can render you intoxicated. Drinking a lot of water in one sitting can prompt sodium levels in your blood to plummet, a serious and potentially lethal condition called hyponatremia.

Now, you're probably a little bit paranoid from reading all of this–but don't be. My intention was not to breed anxiety; rather, to make you more cautious of your daily doings. Either way, as they say "You only live once," so what's a little risk?