A Little Restoration in Your Faith in Humanity

11

There are few things I despise more than smacking. You think I'm exaggerating or being a drama queen. I can feel it. Although I'm guilty of being a drama queen more times than I'm proud of, I mean this one. It's like every smack and obnoxious chew rams a giant baseball slugger into my brain. Every. Single. Smack. You see, I'll try my best to ignore those godforsaken sounds but once I hear, it's like my brain won't tune it out. Instead, I tune into the noise. Ask any one of my friends and they will vouch for me…don't you dare eat cereal in front of me.

So this isn't about cereal or my deep hatred for smacking. But as I was in class one day, about to lose it because of my fellow classmate's constant gum chewing, it hit me. Why is that the very things we dislike, disapprove of, even despise have so much control over us? Unless you're a very sad person, I can guarantee there are a million times more things we find comforting, happy and just genuinely good. But it's when we allow ourselves to focus on the negative that we come apart.

Not to hate on my own people, but take the news for example. The moment you turn on CNN, ABC, whatever it may be (FOX for you, Mom and Dad), you are bombarded with the horrible events and tragedies going on in the world. This country suffered a severe hurricane, that country lost thousands of men in war, that other country is under an oppressive dictator, Kim Kardashian divorced Kanye, oh wait. Sorry, ignore that last one, that's a typo.

But in all seriousness, it's easy to zero in on the dark side of humanity and overshadow the good. It's almost natural to do so because as we are all aware, there are a lot of messed up, backward things that occur everyday. Don't get me wrong: It is absolutely necessary to address the negative in order to become better and change. However, it is also necessary to stop and “smell the roses" if you will.

That being said, here are some roses for you to sniff.

1.A group of pugs is called a grumble.

2.Starbucks spends more money on health insurance for its employees than on coffee beans.

3. Nearly a hundred billionaires have signed the “giving pledge," promising to give away half their fortune in their lifetime.

4. Bob Marley listed another man, V. Ford, as the songwriter of “No Woman, No Cry" so that the royalty checks can be used to fund a soup kitchen.

5. Studies have shown that goats do indeed have accents.

6. Every year, hundreds of new trees are planted because squirrels forget where they bury their nuts.

7. The actors behind the voices of Mickey and Minnie Mouse are married. Hearts.

Now instead of losing my mind over the smacking next to my ear, all that is wrong with Zayn leaving One Direction or the inequality staring us all in the face (because those things are comparable, right?), I'll remind myself of all of the good that still exists. I suggest you do the same.