Line Dancing Gave Me Confidence

Line Dancing Gave Me Confidence

I have gained the confidence I needed, but I still need to work on it a little more.

191
Line Dancing Gave Me Confidence
Amy McPherson

Have you ever wanted to get out of your comfort zone, but not sure how? Try something new, but not sure what? Something that is completely new, you’ve never done it before? Something that you’ve wanted to, but never knew how to go about it?

For me, I’ve always been the one who is down to try something new, but I’m also the one who is terrified of trying because I'm always a little shy in trying something different with people I didn’t know. I was always doing sports growing up as well as in high school. I mostly played soccer but did volleyball for fun.

Needless to say, I was in need of a change of activity. Lucky for me my friend was introduced to line dancing through her aunt and she automatically thought that I would be interested in going with them. It was sometime in 2014 when we started going to the Mishnock Barn and needless to say, I fell in love and I have become addicted.

My first time at Mishnock Barn was a little scary for me. It was something completely new for me, I was scared that if I messed up they would get mad. However, I was completely wrong, they don’t care if you mess up--all they care about is if you’re having fun and as long as you try your best and are facing the right wall it’s all that matters.

I never thought I’d like it as much as I did/do, but I did. For the first few weeks I took the beginning lessons, but after awhile I stopped taking the lessons. I would learn the dances by watching people dance it, which is something they advise them not to do. They always say “Don’t watch other people’s feet.”

As time progressed we were getting more and more into it and enjoying ourselves even more. After a while, I got more into it and started to enjoy myself even more. You could say I was becoming addicted.

I got my first pair of boots for my 18th birthday (Nov. 11, 2014). It was a gift from my neighbor as well as my mom. Being a part of Mishnock is honestly my favorite, it’s my favorite place to be.

After a while, I got to get to know the people who go. Getting to go to the different events with everyone; from going to the Washington County Fair, the Pawsox game, seeing Billy Gilman live at Mishnock twice, the fundraisers, the Christmas party, New Years party, the costume contests during Halloween, dancing at the Warwick Mall. Each time I got to dance I enjoyed being a part of it.

I no longer go with the ones who introduced me to line dancing, but I am grateful they introduced me to it. I have made a lot of new friends just by dancing there and not staying at the one table.

I’ve been asked if I’ve lost weight, at first I didn’t really believe that I have. I kept hearing it and getting comments on me losing weight until I decided to look through pictures and I found a picture from when I first started going till now and I have lost weight. I’ve been dancing for about 4 years now and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

My favorite part of Mishnock, besides the dancing, is the people. They have become like my second family, every time I walk in I feel like I’m home. They welcome everyone with a smile and are always helping those who don’t know a dance. It has come to a point where I no longer take the lessons and if Dan (the owner and an instructor) sees me not dancing he gives me a look as if asking why I’m not dancing.

There was one time I knew the dance but I was going to wait to dance it after, but he saw me and looked at me, he moved over and pointed next to him. He didn’t start the dance until I was next to him.

I’ve met a lot of people there through my time going. Their names are Taylor, Josh, Becca, Tessa, Becca’s mom, Jesse, Addison, and others. Getting to dance with them every week is my favorite thing. We always have a blast, we can never stop laughing.

It did take awhile for us all o become friends, but in the end, I’m glad to call them my family. Everytime we dance together it’s a blast, all we do is laugh and have a good time. Half the time we aren’t even sure why we are laughing, we make jokes all the time with each other as we are dancing.

With line dancing, I have gained confidence as time went on. At first, I was scared of messing up and I was overthinking the dances too much. Soon after I started making friends with everyone there I stopped caring. I stopped caring what people thought of me as I danced, I started dancing like no one was watching.

I’m a little weird when I dance, but honestly, I stopped caring what people think about me. Now, whenever I hear music I just start dancing, when I hear songs on the radio I think of what dance we do or what we could do to that song.

I have also found out that my grandma was a line dance instructor at one point and her and my grandpa loved to dance. This would explain my addiction and why I love it so much.

My mom also was taught but that didn’t go so well and she won’t learn a dance now. We have all tried getting her on the dance floor, but needless to say, it hasn’t really worked out. She will go to the different events with me and she would go to Mishnock with me sometimes, but she would never learn a dance, she would sit there watching or on her phone doing something.

I would recommend line dancing to everyone, it’s a lot of fun and you won’t regret it. It’s something different, but it is enjoyed by many. Even if you don’t think you’ll like it at least try it.