I joined Facebook in 2011. I was in the seventh grade, which means I was about 13 years old.

We all know how horribly awkward it is to be a middle schooler and/or a young teenager, so all this means is I am bombarded with absolutely cringe-worthy photos and statuses every day thanks to Facebook Memories.

The only good thing that has come out of Facebook digging up my personal documentation of the most embarrassing years of my life, is being reminded of tbh's.

These have to be the purest of all social media interactions because they were basically an excuse to give a bunch of people a paragraph's worth of compliments. Like I mentioned earlier, most of us were insecure back then. When someone posted the infamous "lms 4 a tbh," it was a way to ask for social validation that was socially acceptable.

If your best friend was writing tbh's, then you knew you were going to get a five-chapter novel about how much they love you and how they can't wait to be in your wedding with the boy you have been dating since last Tuesday. These are heartwarming, but most people have no doubt that their best friend likes them.

The best tbh's, and why I think we should bring them back, are when you know someone, but aren't close friends with them.

A kid you know from a class or two posts a tbh, then you get a sweet recount of pleasant interactions the two of you have had from their perspective. You could learn that you had a bigger impact on them than you had thought. You get to be reminded of all these positive memories, whether they be major or small, and it helps you associate them and their name with positive feelings.

We all posted a tbh status at least once during middle school, and with every positive word we posted on someone's page, we created more positive feelings between you and that person. While this didn't mean the two of you were going to be BFFL's, without knowing it, we were creating a more positive online and in-school environment.

If you think about someone's self-image as a piggy bank, then this concept makes a lot more sense. If nice words deposit coins into someone's piggy bank and mean words withdraw, then you can understand that it can be hard to reject people who are raising your worth.

The beauty of social media is that it is out there for everyone to see, and when others see someone taking the time to deposit into your piggy bank, then they see that raise in worth and have more positive feelings about you both.

In a current social media climate full of heated arguments all the way to indifference, we need a practice that deposits into our piggy banks.