Like Attracts Like: How Your Thoughts Affect Your Reality

What you put out into the universe comes back to you, and it all starts with your thoughts.

1094
Mind Tattvas

When I was a young high schooler, I really thought I had it figured out. Didn't we all? I knew the importance of setting and achieving goals, of finding motivation to work, of being pragmatic despite being an irrational, hormone-crazed teenager... And it was working for me. One day, my mother told me about this video, "Thoughts Become Things" by Mike Dooley, and recommended I watch it. It was about the power of belief and the metaphysics of life, and how by thinking about something and putting your desires out into the universe, you'd get them back. I read the back cover of the movie box and proceeded to forget all about the metaphysics of life for probably five years. It wasn't until this past Fall that the concept of thoughts becoming things really stole my attention, as it was a significant topic in one of the classes required for my major. And after a semester of studying the connections between health of mind, body, and spirit, I realized what wasted time those five years of pretentious disbelief might have been.

'Think it and it will happen'. For as easy as it sounds, it's incredibly difficult to grasp. I understand first hand where so much of the doubt stems from: it can't be that simple, there's no way my thoughts have so much power, it's just hippie crap, there has to be a catch...all sound like common concerns. Of course, there's a little more involved than just thinking about things, but I'll tell you you something you might not believe. It really is that simple, your thoughts have more power than you can imagine, it is not hippie crap, and there isn't really a catch. Take a moment to digest it. All this time you've felt powerless, stuck somewhere you don't want to be, yearning for something more that you're afraid you'll never have, it's been within your power to change. It all starts with intention.

Thoughts begin to become things when you give them emotional substance. One system of belief says that all emotions stem from two sources; either fear or love. Things like anger, sadness, and anxiety stem from fear and tend to manifest in physical experiences that are perceived as negative. Conversely, gratitude, happiness, and well-being stem from love and manifest in positively perceived physical experiences. Whatever you want in your life, whether it is money or good grades or a happy relationship, needs to be thought of with the right intention.

For example, lets look at money. If you think to yourself that you never have enough money or that money is a source of stress, these thoughts will manifest future negative experiences with money, probably involving frustration and anger. You might never have enough money and it will continue to stress you out. But if you think to yourself that money provides opportunities for gratitude and well-being, then these thoughts will lead to positive physical experiences. Receiving or spending money will make you feel grateful, and whatever amount you have will make you feel good. See the huge difference?

I can tell that for some of you that's not enough. You need some science! Metaphysical science looks at the non-physical aspects of reality and dates back to Aristotle and ancient Greece. According to metaphysical science, the physical world around us isn't really physical, but a manifestation of perceptions generated by the mind. Closely related is quantum physics, which looks at the nature that precedes physical manifestation. In quantum physics, all reality is made of vibrations of energy, including your thoughts. When you think about things and give them energy, they materialize in the physical world. Ever hear of the "Law of Attraction?" Like will attract like. If you put out positive thoughts, you'll attract positive experiences. If you put out negative thoughts, you'll attract negative experiences.

We do this everyday without ever realizing it. Have you found yourself saying or thinking any of these common phrases? "I'm ugly/fat/stupid/weird," "No one likes me," "My job is killing me," "I'll never find someone to love," "I wish I was dead/I'd rather be dead," "I'm such a failure." Those sound pretty negative, right? Every time you say or think those things, you're putting them out into the universe with bad energy. So guess what's going to come back to you? People won't like you, your job might kill you, you won't find someone to love, and you'll continue to feel like a failure. It sounds harsh, but we create these realities for ourselves constantly. If we can ruin our own lives with our fear based thoughts, imagine how much you can improve your life with thoughts based on love! Instead, tell yourself "I'm unique/beautiful/intelligent," "I'll find the right person someday," "I'll feel better soon," "I'm a winner." Your positive thoughts will attract positive experiences, it's that easy!

In short, your thoughts have power. So much power, they can literally change life as you perceive it. It's not a terrible stretch to say you might have mind control, and how cool does that sound? With the right intentions, your thoughts can make you happier and healthier and give you some of the things you want most in life. But if you're not careful, your thoughts can make you sick, angry, and sad too. Watch what you think and say, and see how the universe rewards you. You have the power to turn your thoughts into any reality you want, so make it a good one!