Life Is Short, Live It Well

Life Is Short, So Live It Well

For my grandparents, who lived life without regrets.

8
Life Is Short, So Live It Well
Shelby Arnett

It can be easy to get caught up with the minor inconveniences of life, such as a flat tire, a missing shoe, a bad test grade. Oftentimes, we can let these things affect us more than we should. At the moment, those obstacles may seem as if they are the start to the end of the world. It can truly appear that way, too, if we focus all of our attention on that one negative aspect. And, more often than not, this is exactly what we do.

Life is not perfect. With that being said, it's not terrible, either.

When things seem to be going downhill at work or at school, you may find yourself thinking negatively about everything in your life as well. "I didn't do well on that exam this morning, and my order was wrong at Starbucks, and now I'm stressed about all this homework due tomorrow." In the grand scheme of things, an incorrect Starbucks order is quite minimal compared to all of the other values we find important in life. Though we all have bad days, not everything that occurs throughout that day has to be bad. That Starbucks drink may have turned out to be better than your original order. Your homework probably prepared you to do better on the next exam.

It's all about changing your perspective.

Two people who did this especially well were my grandparents. Though I wrote about Honey and Big Daddy in a previous article, I mainly focused on the life lessons that Big Daddy taught me. Today, I aim to talk about both of them, and how they lived life to its fullest, despite the obstacles that got in their way.

Though it pains me to write this, we lost Honey just one week ago. She unexpectedly yet peacefully left this world to reunite with her groom in heaven. Though it still breaks my heart, and the hearts of the Arnett family, we know that she is where she needs to be now, and we have two guardian angels guiding us on our life journeys. Throughout the past week, the Arnett's have grown even closer as a family, and we also have begun to reflect on the memories we made with our incredible grandparents over the years.

Though Big Daddy suffered from Parkinson's disease throughout a portion of his life, it never slowed him down. He and Honey still made it to all of the football games at the University of Louisville, decked head to toe in Louisville Cardinal red. And Honey, though unable to drive on her own, still arrived in style to every single Christmas Eve dinner at Aunt Karen's house, with the help of my father (and my car, handed down from Big Daddy), because she loved her family that much.

Even after Big Daddy passed away, Honey kept living her life, and she lived it well. She told countless stories about her children, Big Daddy, and even herself. She called her grandchildren after hearing our accomplishments, and always wanted to know about our latest trip, how school was going, or what we were doing for the summer.

She lived. Every single day.

Now that my grandparents are together again, I know that they could not be happier. I know that they would still want their children and grandchildren to keep living their best lives, even though they are not with us anymore. It is up to us to fulfill their wishes.

No matter what you are facing in your life today, I hope you decide that the positives can outweigh the negatives. Life is way too short to spend it being sad or angry or worried. Live in the now and enjoy life, and you may find that life will enjoy you, too.