Life In A Red Visor

Life In A Red Visor

The real life lessons I learned from my part-time job.

21
Life In A Red Visor
Colleen Kozacheck

"It's just a job." This sentence has been said to me multiple times on multiple occasions regarding various different jobs I've held.

"It's just a job." People say it as if there is no need to get emotional invested in something you work so hard at day in and day out.

I've had a variety of jobs since I was able to start working as a young adolescent. I always found myself to a customer service job, smiling as I served. There are plenty of things I've learned from the jobs that have come and gone, like everyone. Sometimes they were "just jobs." I had no emotional attachment to the people I worked with or the job I did.

However, there is nothing can quite compare to my job at Rita's Water Ice.

For those of you who are not from the East Coast (first off, my apologies), Rita's Water Ice is a store that sells water ice (similar to shaved ice). I began working as Treat Team member at the ripe age of 14 and am now currently working my seventh season, at the Frazer location, while being home for the summer this summer.

"It's just a job" has never been a sentence I or others would say regarding my position at Rita's. To me, it's more than that. My boss, Frank, always says there is a difference between business and personal. And I agree. However, I would also say that I have grown to love not only the job but my coworkers and the family I work for.

As crazy as it sounds, my life in my red visor has come with some of the most rewarding and eye-opening experiences of my life.

My time at Rita's has taught me a lot about not only the business but life. Here are some of the top ones.

1. "This will be the best job of your life"

These words were said to me by my boss on my first day at Rita's when I was 14. I thought he was insane when I first heard it. Now, I know it to be true. Life is a lot harder after you grow up.

2. Ice cream (or water ice) does solve all problems

I've seen it all. Wisdom teeth, parties, break-ups, deceased pets, etc. There's nothing a treat for yourself and a few minutes to yourself cannot fix.

3. Smiles go a long way

It's easy to spot who is having a difficult day when the customers come to the window. They are always the one who appreciate my smile and are taken aback when I ask them how they are doing. I know when they leave, they're happier than when they came, and that makes me happy too. A smile can do a lot.

4. Some people are difficult

Eighty-five percent of the people I have served are happy to come to Rita's. Fifteen percent of them are miserable and will be rude, upsetting, and even hurtful. Just like in life, there is nothing you can do to change these people. So smile. Smile and wish them a nice day.

5. You're going to make mistakes

They said they wanted a large Swedish fish gelati and you accidentally brought them a regular Mango misto. It happens. Mistakes are normal. It's how well we recover that really matters.

6. Always say please, always say thank you

I've learned not only how to serve customers but also how to be a customer. Say please. Say thank you. When someone asks how you're doing, ask them too. Tip. Smile. It takes no effort at all to be nice. How you treat your servers affects them more than they would like to admit.

7. It's okay to say no

Can't pick up an extra shift? Can't make it to that friend's party? Don't have time to do your friend that favor? It's okay to say no, as long as you do so politely.

8. Bad days are okay

There were some shifts that did not just go my way. Bad days are okay, however, do not let that bad day define you. Power through. Tomorrow is a fresh start.

9. It probably wasn't your fault

The customer is always right, right? Wrong. However, no one in customer service is willing to admit that. You apologize for your wrongdoing and move on. The same thing happens in life. Sometimes things aren't our fault, however, the most adult thing you can do is apologize for upsetting the person and move on.

10. Reel it in

There will be some people who cannot be pleased and that's okay. Keep your cool, reel it in, and continue to smile.

11. You won't like everyone you meet

There are people you would rather not work with, customers you would rather not deal with, sometimes an ex comes to the window, you have to wait on your arch nemesis from high school, etc. It does not matter how you feel about a person, it's how you treat them that counts. How you interact with another person demonstrates your character, not theirs. Remember that.

12. There will come a time when you outgrow the things you love

There will come a day when I hang up my red visor for the last time. That time may be next year or five years from now. I honestly don't know. However, my boss always reminds me that it's okay to outgrow the job. It's okay to move on from the things that once meant so much.

To me, Rita's is much more than a job. I refuse to think something that has taught me this much can be "just a job."

Aside from learning all the valuable life lessons, one of my coworkers once said: you may gain 20 pounds by working here, but you'll also gain 20 friends.

And that, to me, is something I will cherish forever.