6 Life Lessons I've Learned In My 20 Years

Everything happens for a reason and people make mistakes. Cliche, yes, but also very true.

591
https://unsplash.com/photos/FqdfVIdgR98

The time has come when I am finally leaving my teenage years behind; I am able to look back on how many things I have done and experienced throughout my years thus far. Although many of these sayings are cliche and have been spoken a thousand times, they're something everyone needs to hear. I've gone through heartbreak, losses, and the whole nine yards. Through the good times and the bad, these are the life lessons that I've learned in my 20 years.

1. Everything Happens For A Reason

Although somethings are hard to overcome, one thing that I have always told myself is "everything happens for a reason". Cliche, yes, but it's true! Although we don't understand why some things have happened to us, it is important to keep faith and realize that it was meant to happen. I can't even explain to you the amount of times I've said "why me?" or "why would He let this happen to me?". And while one thing can seem as though it is the biggest thing in the world, try to put in in perspective—is this really going to affect you in a year from now? Just think about it...

2. This Too Shall Pass

Similar to "everything happens for a reason", whatever you are going through will come to an end. Even when you feel as though your situation is never ending, just remember that it will, it just takes time. Patience is everything and although there are people that wish to control everything in their lives (like me), some things we just cannot avoid. This too shall pass, have patience.

3. Your Mental Health Is More Important Than Your Grades

Every semester, I find myself struggling to have better grades and having higher goals. While these are all good things, it can be hard and stressful on not only your physical health, but your mental health as well. I have found myself having panic attacks when I feel as things just get too hard and I am stretching myself way too thin. What you need to realize is that nothing is more important than your well-being. In addition to that—YOU NEED SLEEP! Although some believe that they are invincible, every one needs sleep and that time to relax and step away.

4. People Make Mistakes

We have all had those people that we have sworn off and never talked to again. While everyone has a different reason for certain situations, realize that everyone makes mistakes. This doesn't mean that you have to forgive this person or accept what they did, but it does mean that you have to realize that the only way people learn is from their mistakes. Some have done worse than others, and I understand that. But just remember that no one is perfect, and we are all bound to make mistakes at some point in our lives.

5. Learn The Balance Between Saying "Yes" And "No"

Stretching yourself out way too thin is something everyone can relate to. I've gone out when I had an exam the next day, when I shouldn't have, and I've stayed in when I had nothing better to do than watch Netflix. While there are people that struggle to say "no", it is very important to say it every once in a while. Whether you want to believe it or not, some times you aren't capable to doing everything. And while there are 24 hours in a day, those days can sometimes feel as though they are traveling as quickly as light. Learn when to say "yes" and "no", trust me, its a great skill to have.

6. You Don't Owe Anyone An Explanation

While people reach far and wide for excuses, it is completely normal to not want to leave the house, or just want to have alone time. Others will try to pin it on themselves thinking that you do not want to hang out with them or "don't like them", but it's not about them! Sometimes you want to do certain things and you don't owe anyone an explanation because it's your life! While they can get upset at you, are they really who you want in your life if you feel as though you need to lie to them just so they don't get mad at you, or will think different of you? It's your life, live it as you please.