10 Life Lessons I Learned From Being An Athlete

Being a former athlete has helped me be driven, determined, and optimistic in life.

1351
Janine McCormick

Sports have been a big part of my life and I have my parents to thank for that. Not only did I realize how passionate I was about sports, but I also had a lot of fun throughout the years playing competitively. I also learned a lot of things throughout my years of playing that would later follow me in life and help me succeed in many things. I truly believe that being an athlete teaches you a lot and I am proud that I got to be an athlete for so many years and gained these lifelong lessons.

1. Be passionate

When you bring passion into the works it creates this fire that continues to grow and helps you stand out from the crowd. If you are passionate about what you do you will take success to the next level.

2. Perseverance is key

A big thing that sports taught me was to have perseverance. Good things take time and you need to build yourself up for greatness.

3. Defeat is a choice

Sports taught me that you can either give up and give in or give it your all no matter the score. Give it your all until the very end even if you lose you always should come out believing you did all you could.

4. Focus and stay classy

Focus on yourself and on your goals. That was a big thing in sports if you were going to achieve anything and that is something that follows true to life in general as well.

5. Push yourself

You are your biggest cheerleader and you need to push yourself even when things look difficult. Life will make you fall face flat at times, but you gotta push yourself to make it through.

6. Hard work pays off

In sports, you would be rewarded with medals and placement when you worked your butt off. In life, it'll be that promotion or career goal you achieve. Don't try taking the easy way out in life, your hard work will be noted.

7. Step outside your comfort zone

Sports was a way to test the waters at what position you were good at and what moves you could do when playing a sport. In life you also need to step out of your comfort zone and learn what you can do, you may just surprise yourself.

8. Respect

Always respect, sports taught me to be patient and respect my opponents no matter what. It would be difficult at times, but in life, you'll meet difficult people and showing respect shows good character within yourself. Stay classy.

9. Learn from failures

Failure happens and sometimes it really sucked when you'd lose a game, but to learn from your failures rather then dwelling on them makes you a better athlete and person in the end. Build off of the struggles and create something positive from it in sports and in life.

10. Work together

You are only as strong as your weakest link. That is something I'll never forget. Bring them up push them to be better find eachothers strong skills and build off of eachother.