what friends teaches you about careers

What ‘Friends’ Taught Us About Pursuing Our Careers Over Its 10-Year Run

So no one told you life was gonna be this way. The one where we're all guessing our way through life.

47

It's safe to say that one of the most beloved TV shows in history is "Friends" which aired for 10 years, though its impact still felt today. We grew up watching the adventures of the six friends, the main characters, and their love lives that were intertwined with friendships. Yet, the show also captured their careers at their lowest and proudest moments. In watching their own mishaps and funny adventures, we the audience "get in" on this profound wisdom the show teaches about being a 20-something in the workforce.

Here are some key lessons "Friends" taught us, that we only came to realize years later.

Joey: No job is ever too small.

Joey's STD ad

Known for his womanizer ways and charismatic persona, Joey is actually very much a struggling actor for most of the show. His biggest success is starring on the soap opera "Days of Our Lives." But even once that is over, Joey still takes help from Chandler to pay the bills. We watch him take weird commercial jobs, try to be Al Pacino's butt-double, be a poster model for an STD ad, and even admit he once was in a porn film. Joey truly has the most humble heart out of the friends which comes from his earnestness. Part of the climb to success is the bottom of the ladder. Even when he doesn't want to admit he's working as a waiter at Central Perk, his friends support him and prove that working hard to make your own money is never beneath you.

Rachel: You need “the fear."

Rachel Quits

The original member to work at Central Perk is, of course, Rachel. Beautiful, sweet, pushover Rachel turns into a full-blown executive at Ralph Lauren over the ten years of the show. It's important to remember that she was a spoiled rich girl who had no experience or qualifications in season 1. She made a terrible waitress, which was supposed to be a temporary job in the first place. Joey and Chandler expertly tell her she needs "the fear," the idea that once she doesn't have the waitressing job as a security blanket, she will take concrete steps to pursue fashion. The normally childish and hilarious Chandler-Joey duo was extremely wise when they said this. If you feel you're stuck, or not where you should be, rid yourself of your security blanket and seek fear. This is where your journey begins.

Monica: Quite simply, never give up. But don’t let other people trample you in the process.

Monica and the diner job.

It makes sense that Monica is the one working in one of the most cut-throat industries: the restaurant business. She's a perfectionist, a people pleaser, and genuinely works hard. She's the mom we hope to grow up to be. Though we see less of her career in later seasons, her struggle to find a job is her biggest "weakness." When a possible employer comes over in season one to review her food, he shows up high. She goes through phases of catering and working for a 1970s themed diner. She works immensely hard and waits a long time to get a job as a head chef. Even when that happens, the staff bullies her and she teaches us to stand up for ourselves. Don't give up. And in this long journey to success, remember your value.

Chandler: It may take longer to find yourself, and in turn what your passion is.

Chandler's job.

Not having the courage or support to do what you love is one thing. Not knowing what you love is another. Each of the friends has a distinct passion, whereas no one actually knows what Chandler's is apart from the fact that he's funny. We don't even know what his job is until he decides to quit. He spends an entire episode taking personality tests in the early seasons only to find out his ideal job is his current one. It isn't till later in the show that he quits to go into marketing. I relate a lot to Chandler right now in that I have many interests and feel out of touch with my purpose, but don't feel strongly connected to a particular thing. We all find our place in this world in due time.

Phoebe: Try not to care too much about what other people think. Go with the flow.

"I don't even have a pla—"

It's no secret that Phoebe is characterized as oblivious, but she's actually just confident in her own self. She's spent enough years dealing with unsavory people "on the streets" to know that at the end of the day, her well-being and those she loves is all that matters. Sometimes it feels as though she might be a secret spy or something since she has so many mysterious talents. But she never shapes her career around her talents, but rather on what interests her. Phoebe teaches us that doing what feels right and not even having a "pla—" can be a pretty wonderful life. She's not worried about where her money is coming from, because she knows she's resourceful enough to live even without the means.

Ross: Own your passion.

Ross and the velociraptor.

Ross is perhaps the only friend who we see consistently have a steady job and career (apart from that time he was forced to "take a break" because someone ate his sandwich, but it technically was a sabbatical). He is the most financially stable out of all of them, though his love life is the exact opposite. However, even with a steady income, Ross is an awkward person who is still coming to terms with his geeky past. In his therapy session with Emma's male nanny, Ross admits how difficult it was for him as a kid when his father questioned his masculinity when he played with dinosaur toys. Even with the friends' persistent jokes about Ross' career, he's actually what they are all aiming to be: a successful, accomplished professional who loves what they do. Ross proves to us that our passions do reward us, so long as we believe in them.

Whether you're Joey, Rachel, Monica, Chandler, Phoebe, or Ross right now, know that it will always be okay so long as you have friends who are "there for you."