19 Things That Took Me 19 Years To Figure Out

Nineteen things that will save your teenage life.

129
Christina Jazdzewski

So, I’m 20 now.

This is the decade of life when I’m supposed to get my life together and graduate college, find a husband, get a decent job, and hopefully not screw up. However, we’ll see how this goes.

Up until this point in life I’ve learned a lot, so here are nineteen things I’ve learned in my nineteen years of life.

1. Life is too short to not cut your hair

Throughout my life I went through the phases of growing my hair out and then cutting it all off. Trims aren’t in my vocabulary. Whenever you get the feeling of wanting a change or do something spontaneous, just cut your hair. Do it. If you hate it and you think you look horrible, you probably don’t and you probably still look gorgeous. However, hair grows back and you’ll learn to love your new look and embrace it.

2. Everyone wants something to work but sometimes it just doesn’t

This should probably be number one because this is SO IMPORTANT. We all want something to work out, whether it’s a job, relationship, or a dream, we want it. As humans, we want things our way and our way only. This causes disappointment when things don’t go our way when we want it so bad. We want to date that boy so bad because we think they’re perfect for us. We want that job because we would be so happy there. However, what we fail to take into account is the fact that God knows best. He has a plan that is the best for us even if it’s different than our plan, so trust it. Things will work out how they’re supposed to. This leads into the next point.

3. Trust God’s Plan

As stated, God knows best. Look back at your life right now at a moment you cringe at. One you wish you could erase from your memory. Now come back to the present moment and think. Did you learn something from that? Would something in your life be different if that moment went differently? Probably. That is the beauty of God’s plan. Somehow all the moments in life that didn’t work out how we wanted them too have molded themselves into moments that make our lives how it is today. It’s truly beautiful to think about it.

4. Boys are dumb sometimes

Yup. Pretty self-explanatory.

5. Stop repeating the same things that make you upset

There you are again, texting the boy that you know won’t reply, blowing off your friends to hang with someone else who treats you horribly, blowing off a test to do something else. Why do we continually do things that we know hurt us? Why do we hold on to that little sliver of fate that maybe this time it will be different? IT WON’T. It won’t. I t W o n ‘ t. Learn it, live it, accept it. History has a pattern of repeating itself and it will. Stop wasting your time on bad friends. Stop throwing yourself at people in attempts to become friends when you know you’re just going to get blown off. Break the cycle and stop self-sabotaging yourself.

6. High school is irrelevant

Honestly I couldn’t tell you anything about high school. ACT score? Can’t remember. Classes? No idea. Grades? Nope still nothing. Drama? Especially don’t remember. Don’t stress about high school. Even though everything seems overwhelming and crazy, it’s irrelevant. Learn from your mistakes and make good memories but don’t stress over it.

7. Be selfish

Take time for yourself. It so stressful to manage all the things in life, I know that. However, you need to take time for yourself. Turn your phone off and relax. Read a book or watch Youtube or do something for yourself. Yes, I know your friend NEEDS someone to go to the party with and you’re the only one without an exam tomorrow but you need to be selfish. It’s ok. They’ll understand. It’s okay to put yourself first sometimes.

8. Don’t be afraid of failure

They help you learn no matter how hard they are. Use failures to fuel you.

9. Don’t be afraid to ask for help

It’s scary, I know. Sometimes we don’t want to speak up and we’re scared to annoy people or look dumb. However, just ask. It’ll take two seconds and you’ll love yourself. Do it.

10. Stop saying sorry about things you’re not sorry for

I’m infamous for apologizing for everything. I will apologize for getting within ten feet of you, literally anything. Honestly, I’ve learned that I need to stop saying sorry for things I’m really not sorry for. I just stopped apologizing for things that weren’t my fault. Like I’m not sorry you waited in line for ten minutes because you chose to do it. I’m not sorry it’s busy because I wish it wasn’t either.

11. The boy? You don’t need him

You’re amazing by yourself and you don’t need any boy to prove your worth to you. Work on yourself and focus on you and your amazing life. Boys will come as they’re supposed to. It’s no use stressing over Chad from Kappa Gamma Sigma Apple Pi.

12. Be a little spontaneous

That friend you think is crazy for asking you to go on a helicopter ride with her after work? Just do it. Most of the time those moments are the ones you remember for a long time. Sometimes you just gotta embrace these moments and go for it.

13. Social media is irrelevant

No one cares how many likes you got on your Instagram post. Literally. So stop caring. Post what you want.

14. Tell your friends how much you value their friendship

Everyone wants to feel appreciated and it’ll brighten their day. You never know what’s going to happen so make sure those people know you love them.

15. Not everyone is going to like you

You can suck up to someone all you want and they’re still not going to like you. Nothing is wrong with you and you don’t have to change. Realize how amazing you are and acknowledge how many other people appreciate you. It’s hard when you want to be loved by everyone but you just gotta accept it.

16. Disney really is the happiest place on Earth

Enough said.

17. Change is important

It’s so easy to get caught up in our everyday routine. We get comfortable and like consistency. However, in your daily routine do you ever remember the days that went exactly as planned and was the same as the day before? Probably not. Accept change. It can suck and be uncomfortable but as soon as you adjust you’ll be happy and proud of yourself.

18. If you think they don’t care, they probably don’t

I want to shout this from the rooftop. I want to preach this to the whole universe. IF YOU THINK THEY DON’T CARE, THEY PROBABLY DON’T. If someone is consistently blowing you off and never taking your feelings into consideration, THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND. If someone doesn’t care about you and your well being, THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND. A friend will not blow you off every other day and they will not take hours to reply to your text and they will not treat you like an option. YOU ARE A PRIORITY. Remember that. Just do it.

19. Just do it

You know that thing you don’t think you could do? That place you don’t think you can go? You can do it. Believe in yourself and make it happen. At 19, I moved across the country not knowing a single soul and I left Orlando with a family. That experience made me feel as though I could do anything. You make the decisions. You are the person who decides and makes it happen. You CAN do this. You can move across the country. You can get that job. You can ace that test. Believe in yourself.