11 Life Lessons That Fall Out Boy Taught Me

They are more than just a band...

117
Caitlin Beheler

Fall Out Boy's lyrics have spoken to a lot of us over the years. We have stuck with them from the beginning, through that terrible hiatus (aka the worst time of our lives) and are happier than ever that they're making music and teaching us life lessons again.

1) "Let's hear it for America's suitehearts"

The first time I met Fall Out Boy I was 13 years old. They were very shy, nice and really short in person. Seven years later I met them again and they still have kept humble. No matter where life takes me I will always remember my roots.

2) "Are we growing up or just going down?"

Pete and Patrick taught me that Sophomore Slump is real. I just finished up my sophomore year of college and I will say that sophomore slump is a real thing. So rising sophomore's my advice to you is, make sure you know it's real and don't let it catch you off guard. Now let's make this the Comeback of the year.

3) "I set my clocks early cause I know I'm always late"

I actually do this, but let me be the first to tell you -- It doesn't work for me. I am always late still, just ask any of my friends. Fall Out Boy and I can really connect on this song.

4) "The person that you’d take a bullet for is behind the trigger"

It's okay to miss the ones that hurt you, it's just human nature. I know that it is hard not to let you guard down, just make sure you give your heart to someone that would take a train for you.

5) "We could be immor- immortals"

Although the song was created for the Disney movie "Big Hero 6", it has much more of a purpose than just a song for a movie. The lyrics "They say we are what we are, But we don't have to be." In today's world, society puts a lock on everything and everyone, telling them that they can never be more than what they are. Fall Out Boy, however, disagrees. Most people said that I would not be were I am today. Well I proved them wrong and so can you.

6) "And I read about the afterlife, But I never really lived"

Make sure you live life to the fullest every single day and don't have any regrets in life. There are some "Saturday's" that I regret but that is the past I cannot dwell on that for the rest of my life, but I can look forward to the upcoming "Saturday's."

7) "Have you ever wanted to disappear?"

I have dealt with body issues my whole life and there was times when I was younger than I wanted to disappear for just a little while. I have learned to love myself and accept my body the way it is. Our bodies are just like fingerprints, no one has the same one. So let me be the first to tell you one size doesn't fit all.

8) "We are wild, we are like young volcanoes"

It's okay to turn over a new leaf or have a clean slate, and at this time in my life that is excatly what I am doing. Sometimes we all just need a new beginning and Fall Out Boy couldn't agree more.

9) "I got those jet pack blues"

Everyone has lost someone in their life, whether it is figuratively or literally. It's okay to grieve, be angry, or sad. But allow yourself a deadline. Life is precious and if someone doesn't want to be apart of your life, well then it's their loss. If someone was ripped away from this Earth too soon, then it's okay to be angry for a certain period of time. I have experienced both of these.

10) "Remember me for centuries"

Okay I know almost everyone know this song, thanks ESPN. It's important to leave your mark on this world, and make people remember who you were and what your purpose was. Everyone has a purpose. I believe my purpose on this world is to help others.

11) "Dance, Dance"

Well this one is quite obvious. I always remember to dance when I am stressed, even though I am a horrible dancer. Once again, my friends can vouch for me. This is one way that anyone can have fun. So now that you have read this. GO DANCE, DANCE.