21 Real Life Lessons From A 21-Year-Old

21 Real Life Lessons From A 21-Year-Old

Spoiler Alert: I still know nothing.

21 Real Life Lessons From A 21-Year-Old
Photo by Kortnee Greenfield

I've learned a lot in my 21 years on this earth, whether that's not cutting your bangs at 11p.m. in your dorm room or realizing the things that make you scared are usually the things that matter. As my birthday comes and goes, I realize how much life changes, and how much I change with it.

1. Things happen for a reason.

You may not understand why something happens in your life, but each moment has a purpose.

2. It gets better.

And then worse. And then better again. Life is filled with good and bad moments- what matters is what you make of it.

3. Choose your friends.

You decide who you allow into your life. The people you surround yourself with impact how you act too.

4. Stop giving anxiety control over you life.

You are not your anxiety.

5. Find the good in people, but don’t ignore the bad.

Humans are imperfect. There is both good and bad inside us all.

6. Recovery is not linear.

There will be days that will feel amazing. There will be days when you can’t even seem to get out of bed. The only thing that matters is that you keep going.

7. Don’t fear confrontation.

Stand up for yourself, speak your mind-- no one else is going to do it for you.

8. Embrace your uniqueness.

There is only one person like you, so be all there.

9. You cannot cut your own bangs.

Do not panic-cut your hair late at night or before a test. You are not a hairdresser, even if those YouTube videos may convince you.

10. Your perspective of a situation is not the same as others.

People remember events differently. With various angles and attitudes, you have to learn to understand one another and not be so subjective.

11. You will find friends in the most desolate of places.

There are amazing and beautiful people even in the worst of situations. Find them and love them hard.

12. Live in the moment.

Stop worrying about what you said two days ago. Stop worrying about what could go wrong tomorrow. Be all there.

13. Figure out what you want- and go for it.

Wholeheartedly and unapologetically.

14. Read often.

A good book and a cup of tea is sometimes all you need.

15. Do it afraid.

Some of the greatest moments stand on the other side of fear. Moments that scare you are usually the ones that matter

16. Everything is not a competition.

You do not have to be the best at everything. Some people will inevitably be better.

17. Deep, meaningful conversations are important.

Talking heals almost everything.

18. Appreciate your body.

It is not their to fight you. Treat it with respect and a sense of understanding.

19. People change.

Friends move away, people grow apart, and you will change your mind. Change is the one constant in life.

20. Own your choices.

Make decisions and stick with them.

21. Never stop learning.

I still don't know much but with each year I learn more and more about myself. Every moment provides new awareness to the world and I'm thankful for the people that have stuck with me through all my growth and destruction.

Here's to 21 more lessons life has to offer.