lessons from having a sister

'Setting A Good Example' And 15 Other Lessons Life Has Taught Me Because I Grew Up With A Little Sister

Trust me, it's harder than it looks.

484
Lauren McCally

Becoming a big sister isn't a choice, at least not one you make yourself. But it can be one of the best things to ever happen. Your siblings teach you more about life than you think.

My sister is my go-to best friend, the girl who I can always trust to give me honest fashion advice and the person who can always make me laugh. I've been lucky enough to face life first, to have experiences and failures that I can now use to teach her to be a better person.

If you're a big sister, consider yourself to be one lucky girl.

Because trust me, it's harder than it looks.

1. Sharing is a must

sharing

And that means pretty much everything. Toys, clothes, makeup (when older), shoes, life advice, family, etc.

2. It's not just about you

me me me

There are still times where you may think it is but in reality there is another person that's constantly around you that also gets attention too.

3. At the end of the day, no matter what,  you still have each other

And you always will.

4. There's always someone in your corner

Always.

5. Family means the most

She's one of the few that understands howe crazy your family is.

6. Life is not always fair and that's ok

not fair

Having a sister teaches you that not everything is going to go your way.

7. Setting a good example is key

Usually, if you did something, she would follow, whether it was something in sports or artistic. Not that you minded much, most of the time.

8. You're a team

It's the two of you against the world.

9. Leadership

playing sisters

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case." - Ken Kesey

10. Choosing your words when angry

crying

Because you can't take words that you say back.

11. Compassion

hug

Having a younger sister has taught me about a whole new level of love. She has taught me about how important it is to show her that I care.

12. How to be patient and understanding

be patient

Siblings can sometimes be a pain, especially when you don't want to be bothered but thats what makes them the best.

13. She'll do anything for you, no matter the distance and vice versa

She does it because she loves you and you love her.

14. They shape you into the person you become later on

dr lilo

Without them, you wouldn't be near as much of the caring and kind person you are today.

15. You're never alone

not alone

Literally, she's always around, not just physically but even when you're far away.

16. She's your best friend for life

And you're hers.