Life in the Fast Lane

Life in the Fast Lane

The Arizona State Fair is back again, I went to the Figure 8 races and talked with some of the drivers.

4
Life in the Fast Lane
Hailey Forbis

The Arizona State Fair comes around once a year and what better way to experience it than anxiously watching as race cars fight for first place on a figure 8 track during Figure 8 racing. You might be asking yourself, what even is figure 8 racing? Well, figure 8 racing is just like any other race but with a twist. Instead of racing around a circular track the cars race around a track in the shape of a figure 8. The exciting twist is the fact that the intersection of the track is a recipe for disaster. Collisions happen left and right cause cars to turn over, catch fire or just get stuck. The goal of Figure 8 Racing is the same as any other race…win. Figure 8 racing is an exciting experience and if you've never experienced it before, I highly recommend it.

I caught up with some of the drivers and asked them a few questions about how they started racing and how long they have been racing for. It is very interesting how diverse the drivers are. I spoke with racer diver Ashley Stafford and Anthony Madrid.

Ashley Stafford, the only female driver in the race, explained how she heard about a figure 8 race and never having done it before, decided to try something new. She found a love for racing and has been doing it the past few years. She started with circle track racing and ended up trying figure 8 racing and fell in love with it. That goes to show how important it is to try new things and be open minded, you never know what you might find a new love for.

Anthony Madrid is a seasoned racer of 25 years. He has been racing at the fair for years with his family. They all get together every year and race at the fair. Not only is he experienced but he is very decorated and has won more races at the Arizona State Fair than anyone else. Him and his family consider figure 8 racing a tradition and have many more years of racing under their belts. Not only has Madrid raced at the fair, but he has raced at various other tracks around the state. There is such a community of racers here in Arizona.

The Arizona State Fair runs from now until October 27, 2019. Even though Figure 8 Racing is over for this year it will return again next year. The fair has so much more to offer. There is still a rodeo and concerts as well as all the fair food. The Arizona State Fair has been a part of Arizona's history for such a long time. It is a tradition that brings Arizona residents together each year to splurge on deep fried food, crazy rides and of course all the fair games.