I Don't Know What To Do With My Life And That Is Fine

I'm not even nineteen, I shouldn't know what to do.
58

In this day in age, I think that there is too much on pressure on people in college, especially people who have just started college, to figure out what they are going to do with their lives. Maybe it’s from the rise of young entrepreneurs, and young celebrities, or maybe even from social media personalities and Youtubers, but no matter what the reason is, it’s made it a lot harder to be a young person just trying to figure it out. It’s put a lot of pressure on us that we shouldn’t have to deal with.

I hate it because I don’t really know what I want to do with my life, and that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m not even nineteen, I’ve been in college for barely a year, and I don’t even know if I’m going to stay in my major. I shouldn’t know what I’m going to do when I grow up, even though sometimes I feel like I already have grown up. I should be spending my time trying to figure out what it is that I care about, not trying to figure out what I’m going to do for the rest of my life.

I am not even nineteen, and I have no idea what to do with my life, and that is perfectly fine.

Even though there is a pressure to figure out what we should do when we’re very young, we should remember that not everyone succeeds when they’re young. In fact, most people don’t truly succeed or find what it is that they want to do until they are much older. The owner of Gap didn’t start the franchise until he was forty, and he knew nothing about retail. Vera Wang was forty when she started fashion design, and before that, she was a competitive figure skater and a journalist.

Henry Ford was 45 when he invented his revolutionary car model.

Charles Darwin wrote “On the Origin of Species” when he was fifty.

Betty White became an icon at 51.

Regis Philbin wasn’t a household name until he was 57.

Martha Stewart did not become the Martha Stewart that we know today until she was in her forties.

Sure, you can probably list people who found success before they turned thirty, but they are the exception, not the rule.

You’re probably like me, and you don’t know what you want to do with your life. But guess what, you’re not supposed to.

I am 18, I don’t know what I want to do with my life, and that is perfectly fine.