Life As A Writer As Told By "The Office"

Inevitably, someone is going to distract you.
196

Writing brings me such joy. It lets me process my thoughts and get them down on paper. Inevitably, at some point, I get frustrated because of writer's block or I'm distracted by someone or something. When I think of making myself sit down and write every day, it reminds me a lot of working in an office. Here is your life as a writer as described by "The Office".

1. You sit down to write, and you feel refreshed and empowered.

Andy

Usually, I sit down to write when I have a good idea that I feel excited about sharing with people. I write when I feel inspired or feel the need to process my thoughts.

2. After a while, you begin to question your abilities.

Pam Beesly

Does anyone else self-edit as they write? It doesn't do anything for your self-confidence. Sometimes you just have to get all the writing down on paper before you edit it.

3. People start to ask questions about what you're writing, and you feel overwhelmed.

The Office

Maybe you use a disguise and hide from everyone? What does a writer even do all day, honestly?

4. At some point, you get up and walk around just to take a break.

Michael Scott

Sitting all day can be oddly exhausting.

5. Eventually, you force yourself to sit back down and get back to writing.

Pam Beesly

It takes strength, but you're so close to being done! Supposedly taking frequent breaks actually makes you more productive.

6. Your friends or family inevitably interrupt you with conversation, and you start to question why you keep them around.

Michael Scott

Distractions are not helpful at this point.

7. You get further distracted when you mistakenly hop on your phone and scroll through social media.

Michael Scott

Going down that internet rabbit hole is always a guaranteed time-waster.

8. When you're finally done, hopefully, you're proud of your work and you feel like you've accomplished something.

Dwight and Michael

The Office

The Office

It's time to celebrate. The work of a writer is rewarding in the end. Keep working hard, writers.