7 Lies Disney Channel Has Told Us About High School

Admit it, did you believe some were true?

114

Ah, Disney Channel. Whether you watched it to unwind after a long day at school or because it was 8:00 on a Friday you were excited to see their new movie, Disney Channel was an influential part of many peoples' childhood. Let's be real for a second. Did anyone else think high school was going to be like what they depicted it as? Read on to see the ideas Disney fed us that were a little less than true.

1. Your best friend will move in with you

I don't know why this trope keeps popping up, but I assure you, if you're in high school and your bestie's parents are moving away, they are taking her with them.

2. You're going to have this major secret/double life as a teen

It's highly unlikely that you'll have a whole separate identity that you'll have to hide from your classmates and friends.

3. Everyone dresses up for school

A lot of people prefer to dress casually most days. At my school, no one wore high heels to school unless they had an awards ceremony, concert, or something similar.

4. People randomly break out into choreographed song-and-dance numbers

The only situation I can think of that comes close to this is if you and your friends suddenly decide to harmonize to one of your favorite songs together during a break from your school musical's dance rehearsal.

5. Popularity is the number one thing that people strive for

For the most part, this isn't true. Usually people are just looking for friends they can genuinely connect with, or putting school work as their first priority so they can get into a good college.

6. You'll meet your soul mate before you graduate

If you have, that's great! However, I think Disney Channel likes to pair up their main characters by the series finale (for example, Alex with Mason, Miley with Jesse, Cody with Bailey) so viewers can enjoy their "happy ending". So if you haven't, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that because you still have the rest of your life.

7. You'll find your best friends right away or you're already friends with them before high school begins

Something Disney Channel fails to depict is that friendships change throughout high school. You're not always going to be close with your bestie from when you were younger and that's okay. This is a time in your life when you both are growing. They're going to find people that understand them better at this stage, and you will too. It might take a while, but I promise it will happen. That being said, I know people in my grade that were best friends since elementary school and are still tight now, so just be aware that that kind of friendship is possible to keep, but don't feel bad if you're not able to.

Were you able to relate to any of these? If you entered high school expecting any of these things to happen, please share which ones, and feel free to add any lies you noticed that I didn't mention!