Lies And The Liars Who Spread Them

Lies And The Liars Who Spread Them

"No, I didn't. Sorry to burst that bubble, bud."
69

I can't stand liars.

I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say that, considering we're all one the same page here. No one likes liars. Nobody has the patience or time to deal with people who cannot be honest. Throughout my almost 21 sober years on Earth, a solid 90% of the issues I've had to deal with revolve around lies and the liars who spread them.

I don't want to come off as holier than thou. I have made countless mistakes and some of them include lying. I'm not proud of that. However, this stemmed from the prospect of being in "trouble." As a kid, and really before I became a teenager, I couldn't handle "trouble." I'd lie to prevent getting in trouble and since I'm horrendously bad at lying I gave it up real quick. I was incredibly fortunate to have been raised in an atmosphere that encouraged truthfulness and honesty. When I was honest, I wasn't met with harshness but with fondness and compassion and I am so grateful for it. I know that too many were not as fortunate as I was.

So here we are, third year in college, nearly 21 years old, and I'm still dealing with liars.

You'd think that once you escalate to college level sociability that you'd wise up and keep your mouth shut when you have nothing good or worthwhile to say.

Someone at the college I attend, who I've had to formally talk to twice, has spread a rumor that I suffered from a stroke due to the way I look. The only consensus I can come to regarding why anyone would say that is that I either intimidated him or festered his insecurities. If I did, I'd like him to let me know.

But of course, I'm never going to find that out.

Lying is a result of cowardliness.

This gentleman's life is so uneventful that he took it upon himself to spread a rumor so vile to make it seem as if he was looking out for me since I was suffering from such a horrific medical trauma. But it's completely false. Needless to say, I probably wouldn't be able to type out something like this if what he said had to be true.

Call me thin-skinned and you may be right. I can take my fair share of punches, but this is just uncalled for. What's worse is that if there's one person going through something like this, in this case myself, than there is ten. If there's ten there's one hundred... and it keeps going.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I also have some sympathy for those who spread these rumors, too, because there's obviously something lacking in their lives.

All I want is for people to pay it forward. Be nice. When you have nothing nice to say about someone just save your breath. Call me petty to hark on what's happened to me and again you may be very well right, but I'm using it as an example because falsehoods, lies, and rumors are a real problem for too many. We need to foster a community of truthfulness and honesty now more than ever. College, high school, life, is way too stressful to have to keep reminding people of the truth when they should know it from the get go.