5 Celebrities Bringing LGBTQ+ Representation To Hollywood

Role models from all over the rainbow.
6

There isn't a lot of LGBTQ+ representation in regular media, but it has gotten better over the past decade. With Disney coming up with a show (Andi Mack) with a young boy coming out as gay, it is a big win for the LGBTQ+ community. Some people believe that we are rubbing our "life style" into everyone's face whereas we are happy to not have to hide anymore. With all this hatred over something that shouldn't concern those who aren't, These people are great examples of our loving community.

1. Ellen DeGeneres

This woman has been around in the entertainment industry since the 1980's with various films and shows. She goes from stand up comedian to humanitarian on a daily basis with her snap humor and giving heart. She and her wife Portia de Rossi support different organizations ranging from the LGBTQ+ community to animal rights. Ellen and Portia are vegans. Ellen had a website called "Going Vegan with Ellen" with topics ranging from meatless mondays to animal rights. Ellen DeGeneres is prime representation of the lesbian part of the community.

2. Sir Elton John

Coming from a time where it truly was not okay to be gay, this man has gone through a lot. He is an example of strength and success through the hard times. He was married to a woman first, then he divorced her. He continued to explore his sexuality, and figured out that he is gay. Sir Elton John is not just his stage name, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth for the amount of charity work that he did. His success is shown in the amount of recognition for his songs and musicals that he wrote or was apart of. He and his partner (David Furnish) have been together since 1993 and were married in 2004. They have two adopted children. He is a great role model for the gay community.

3. Amandla Stenberg

You may have only seen her in the Hunger Games as Rue. Her character pretty much started that revolution. Amandla and her character Rue aren't much different due to Amandla being a huge activist. She speaks of cultural appropriation being a big issue in American culture and created a video called "Don't Cash Crop My Cornrows". She gave a speech at the dedication ceremony of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial in Washington D.C entitled "Reflections on Women of the Civil Rights Movement". She is part of the few Bada** bisexual women in the media today.

4. Laverne Cox

There is more than meets the eye.You may know her from "Orange is the New Black", but she is more than that. She is a twin to the musician M.Lamar who also plays her pre-transition character in OITNB. She strongly represents the transgender community with being a advocate for the women of color also. Transgender women of color are abused the most, so her voice keeps getting stronger and stronger within our community. She was named one of OUT Magazine's 100 most influential gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender people for 2013. She is known to travel to speak of transgender rights and protections. If you want an amazing role model for the transgender youth, Laverne Cox is one of the greatest.

5. Raven-Symoné

You may know her as a fortune teller teenager or a cute little child on the television screen, but make no mistake she is a big advocate for the queer community. She supports the NO H8 Campaign and to the events associated. Not to mention, she took to twitter after gay marriage was legalized with a snarky comment " I can finally get married! Yay government! So proud of you." as a way to come out. She has been known to be bold and loud about her beliefs that warrants respect from those in the community. She inspires us not be quiet about our beliefs and is a great role model for the Queer Community.

Everyone needs a role model. It doesn't have to be just the LGBTQ+ community because there are a lot of problems that need a positive guidance. The LGBTQ+ community wants your attention but we aren't going to rub our "life style" in your face. These people don't rub their "life style" in everyone's face and are prime examples of the LGBTQ+ community.