The Purpose Of Pride: 3 Things Worth Marching For

Just in case you thought Pride month was just about parties, parades, and wearing lots of rainbow...

41
Wikipedia

If you’ve noticed more rainbows and glitter in the world over the past week or so, be assured that you’re not going crazy; it’s just National LGBT+ Pride month. LGBT+ Pride month takes place every June—the month in which the Stonewall Riots took place back in 1969—as a way to provide visibility and acceptance to the LGBT+ community that, for a large part of its history, has been ostracized and denied equal rights.

Yes, marriage equality is technically the law of the land in the United States, but that right is continually being threatened, even by the President of the United States who promised to appoint Supreme Court justices who would send the ruling back to the states. Marriage equality also doesn’t bring any comfort to the LGBT+ Americans who live in any of the 31 states that still allow for employers to discriminate based on sexual orientation. That’s right, in some places in the U.S. an LGBT American could get married one day and fired the next, and that doesn’t even begin to touch on the issue of Transgender rights that is only beginning to make headway in the civil rights fight for gender identity.

Just in case you thought Pride month was just about parties, parades, and wearing lots of rainbow, here’s three more reasons that Pride Month is especially needed this year.

1. The Pulse Nightclub Shooting

Last year the Orlando Pulse Nightclub shooting became the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, and the second deadliest terrorist attack in the U.S. after 49 people were killed by an armed gunman while in what was supposed to be “an LGBT+ haven.” Only 9/11 stands as a deadlier attack on U.S soil. The tragic shooting served as a shocking reminder that violence against the LGBT+ community is still a harsh reality, even in the post-marriage equality United States.

Statistics show that LGBT+ Americans are twice as likely as African-Americans to be the targets of hate crimes, and nearly a fifth of all hate crimes involve LGBT+ victims. These statistics are not dated—they are less than three years old—and they also reflect the lives of LGBT+ Americans post-marriage equality.

Pride month is especially needed this year because no more LGBT+ Americans should unnecessarily die just because of their sexual orientation.

2. The New Presidential Administration's Attitude Towards the Community

Shortly after our new President was elected and officially sworn into office, the White House LGBT+ Page which has been a present reminder of the former President’s support of the LGBT+ community, disappeared. Anyone who attempted to reach the page received a “Error 404 Page Not Found” message, and while there are those who argue that the same error occurred during the transition from the Bush presidency to the Obama presidency it has now been over 100 days since our new President took office and the page is still not up on the White House site.

Now, you may think that it’s petty to say that Pride month is especially important this year just because the White House doesn’t have an LGBT+ page as it has in previous years, but that’s not the only way in which this administration has failed to support the LGBT+ community. President Trump, the “most gay-friendly Republican nominee for president ever,” has yet to recognize June as National LGBT+ Pride month, and in May, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos refused to state whether the government would withhold funding from private schools that discriminate against students.

Pride month is especially needed this year because the LGBT+ community deserves better than a Presidential administration that stays quiet on recognizing their existence and standing up to defend them from discrimination.

3. #HeterosexualPrideDay

Last year and this year, Twitter saw the arrival of this hashtag: #HeterosexualPrideDay. While some used the hashtag as a way of showing exactly how much privilege heterosexuals have in American culture, many were adamant that heterosexual pride day, week, or month should be created to bring visibility to the heterosexual voices on LGBT+ issues.

Let’s not beat around the bush: every day is heterosexual pride day. No arguments, no rationalizations; you can walk down the street hand in hand with your opposite sex partner and kiss in public without getting dirty stares or slurs thrown at you. In fact, you can openly display gentle affection towards your opposite sex partner in public without drawing any attention at all, and in comparison to the LGBT+ experience, that’s a privilege.

Still not convinced that #HeterosexualPrideDay is a hashtag that represents a vast misunderstanding about the ostracized experience of LGBT+ Americans? When a man and a woman get married, they have a wedding and it’s called a marriage ceremony. When two people of the same gender get married, they have a “gay” wedding, and it’s referred to as “gay marriage,” rather than just marriage. That’s like calling a black car a “car” and a pink car a “girl’s car,” when really they should really just be called what they are, which are “cars.” The color has nothing to do with the car being any less of a car.

Oh, and let’s not forget to look a few paragraphs back and notice how LGBT Americans are twice as likely as African-Americans to be victims of a hate crime. You won’t hear about people being attacked because they’re straight, you won’t hear about people being fired for being straight, and straight people don’t have to fight to have their wedding cakes made at a certain bakery, or take someone to court in order to get their marriage license—but all of those things can and have happened to LGBT+ people.

Pride month is especially important this year because not everyone understands that Pride isn’t about parties and parades, Pride is about being able to live like straight people live everyday—normally and with all the same rights.