The Lewinsky-Clinton Scandal Would Have Had A Different Response Today

She is not to blame.

176

Monica Lewinsky’s life would have been completely different had the Bill Clinton scandal happened today, seeing as society is in a new headspace when it comes to sex and consent.

In the latter half of the 1990’s, the United States exploded in controversy. The Monica Lewinsky-Bill Clinton scandal was infamous, everyone and their mother knew about Lewinsky despite the fact that she had just been a lowly intern at the White House. To this day, she holds a household name. Songs have been written about her candid. She was the intern who slept with a married a man...a man who happened to be the leader of the free world.

This sort of synopsis was a peak for the latter 90’s and into the 2000’s. Monica Lewinsky was an “easy” intern who had slept with the married president. She was critiqued and belittled relentlessly through the newspapers and was one of the first victims of cyberbullying. The entire ideal was her fault, she should have known better than to mess with such an important and prestigious man. She was just a homewrecker trying to take advantage of Bill Clinton’s position to boost her own political career.

This mentality was the issue at hand. Monica Lewinsky was not the one at fault in this situation. She was just a lowly intern trying to make her way into Washington. She did want to succeed in politics. Bill Clinton was her superior. She was subsequent in the situation, and that is where the fault never should be placed.

If this scandal had happened today, there would be a total uproar. Monica would never be at fault because a man in power utilized his position to meets his end’s end. She, in a lesser position, may have felt pressure to appease her supervisor. She may have felt that her job would have been in jeopardy had she rejected one of those powerful men in the world. It is quite possible that she had not been proud about being the “other woman,” and in coming between one of the most famous couples in the country. What is important to note, though, is that Bill and Hillary are the dynamic power couple. Bill broke that up, not Monica. He was the one who hurt his marriage and very well exposed the duo as a political partnership. Monica was a product of the times and therefore she faced the blame. Nowadays we recognize the imbalance and wrongness of a person in power utilizing his position to attain sex. It is grotesque and wrong. Monica was one of the first victims of cyberbullying, she had her life ruined whereas Bill continued to succeed and thrive in his wealth.