What HAIR Taught Me About The True Meaning Behind The 'Hippie' Movement

Letting the sun shine in.

11
Huffington Post

As I looked around on that stage during opening night, I realized that this is where I was supposed to be. Surrounded by all of my closest friends doing what I love: singing and dancing. Hair is an experience that changed me. I met and got to know so many amazing people who I still talk to and keep up with to this day. We became a family. This was the first theater experience for me where I felt fully connected to the cast and crew. I miss each and every one of my cast and crewmates. I think often about what we accomplished together in the one semester we had.

As they say in High School Musical: we were truly all in this together. Our Mitchell College Drama Society (MCDS) pride showed as we managed to secure a musical with the little funds available to us. It was a long climb uphill. Lots of complaints were made and people had quite the negative vibe to start out. But we pulled through and managed to put on a hugely successful endeavor: Sold-out shows and a lot of time on stage. I was exhausted after the shows and exams; I slept a lot for days. But I wouldn’t change this once in a lifetime bonding for anything. This particular cast and crew became so close to me. I love you all. Next year will only strengthen our bonding I’m sure. The Drama Society will be smaller now that the seniors are gone but we will make do because we are the MCDS and we persevere.

Hair taught me about the true meaning behind the "hippie" movement. It was far more than just drugs and folk songs, it was a symbol of the time. The 60s were a turbulent time from the music to the movements and there was no group more so than hippies. That group of people gave their lives to protect young men’s rights not to go to war. They weren’t the beatnik rebels that the media made them out to be. Brothers, fathers, husbands and best friends were all being sent to war sometimes against their will. And when they went home they were treated poorly, despite giving so much for a war that no one truly wanted.

By being in this time of events; even if it was just for two hours, we all gained an understanding of how it felt to be a young person watching one of our best friends fight and consequently die for us. The emotion was raw and real. The innocence of the first act was completely gone by act two. We achieved something that reached a truly professional level even though we were a cast of college kids with on average very little worldly experience. I am proud of what we did on that stage.

If someone had told me back in February or March that this would be my favorite theater performance, I would have laughed in their face and then cried due to stress. But looking back now I realize that this is my favorite. I learned so much in that time about myself and bonded with so many fantastic people. So, thank you Hair cast and crew for giving me this opportunity to shine on that stage and for being the best friends I have ever been graced with. Even if I didn’t talk to you that much in rehearsals you impacted me as much as those I hung out with most (you know who you are). I enjoyed sharing this amazing experience with everyone.

Peace and Love