A Letter To The Victims Of The Turkey Drop

A break up is a break up, no matter the time of year, and you my dear friend, have every right to cry and binge eat pumpkin pie.
48

Ah yes, the few blissfully glorious days after Thanksgiving. Break, while fleeting, is still a thing, your belly is consistently being filled with Turkey Day leftovers, Black Friday sales work as a great spending excuse, and you can still live in the delusional world of no studying and stress.

For most college students, these few days of break provide a much-needed chance to recharge and prepare for the impending doom of finals. But sadly, not all college students get to reep the rewards of this time. Why? Because they fall victim to the dreaded Turkey Drop.

Turkey Drop, as defined by Urban Dictionary, "happens when a dating couple try the long-distance relationship thing when they go off to university or college in September. Typically, when Thanksgiving rolls around and everyone goes home for the holiday, someone gets dumped."

To put it simply, a time when one's only worry should be how many helpings of grandma's mashed potatoes he or she can eat without puking, is suddenly marred by an emotionally-gutting breakup with a significant other. This is definitely not how the Pilgrims intended Thanksgiving to be celebrated.

To the poor victims of the Turkey Drop, I would like to express my deepest sympathy to you. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now, but I would like to let you know that you are not alone. Lean on your friends and family! While typically Thanksgiving marks the start of the most joyous holiday season, you more than deserve time to grieve. A break-up is a break-up, no matter the time of year, and you my dear friend, have every right to cry and binge eat pumpkin pie.

And while it is difficult to think about right now, there is some silver-lining in this situation. College is a time in your life that is intended for personal growth and development. It's a time for you to discover who you are and what you value. It's a time for you to define your future.

It's a time dedicated to you.

So for you, perhaps this break up signifies that you have been able to successfully grow as a person. That you are no longer the high school teenager you were in August, but now are more of an independent young adult. Or maybe, now that the Turkey Drop has happened, you will have the time to focus solely on yourself and your dreams and goals. Go discover who the best "you" is!

And, at the risk of sounding like your mother, I feel obliged to remind you that things happen for a reason, and if it's meant to be, it's meant be. Maybe come Winter Break in a few short weeks, you will be reunited with your significant other and the Turkey Drop will become a thing of the past and a funny story at your wedding years from now.

Or, you'll realize that the Turkey Drop was a blessing in disguise. Whatever the case might be, I want to make one thing clear: YOU WILL BE OKAY. Maybe not right now, maybe not next week, but soon you will be. You are awesome, you are loved, and this Turkey Drop does not define you. So right now, call your best friend, put on a classic chick flick, and eat that extra piece of pumpkin pie. You deserve it.