A Letter To Who I Used To Be

A Letter To Who I Used To Be

What I have learned since I was you.

1054
A Letter To Who I Used To Be
pinterest

Dear the old me,

A lot of time, moments and memories have passed since I was you. I have been through heartbreaks, adventures, days worth of belly laughs but also buckets of tears. I have made new friends and lost some on this crazy path of life, and I have had to learn some of the hardest life lessons that have forever changed who I am as a person. Looking back to you, I sometimes find myself thinking about how lucky you are for how simple life is for you. You aren't facing the struggles I am now, you aren't trying to figure out how to keep your life together under all the responsibilities of adulthood, but I then realize that I'm happy exactly where I am, and looking back on my journey here, I'm excited for you to go through it.

Yes, life is hard; it always will be, but besides the hardships, I am filled with more joy than I have ever been before. Yes, I have lost friendships that I thought were lifelong, but I gained new friendships that have shown me that those doors were closed for a reason. Yes, I have more responsibility than I know what to do with, but I am learning how to live for myself and I am discovering who I am and the person I want to be. I have learned to be vulnerable and ask for help, and that it is OK not to have your life together because it is very rare when that happens, but you must continue to push forward because you have greatness within you. I have learned to be true to myself because no one knows me better than I do and I must stay true to who I am.

I have learned to fight for what I want because life is too short to not go after your dreams, but I have also learned that chasing those dreams can be filled with disappointment and hurt before I succeed. Remember: Nothing in life comes easy but you can do anything you put your mind to. I have learned that it is OK to show weakness, and deep friendships require the thick walls you have built up to be torn down. But with that, I have learned to guard my heart and not put myself in a situation where I will get hurt.

People are broken and will always fail you, but there is only one person who will never fall short for you: fully trust in Him. Be a living example of what you believe in and the morals you hold true to yourself. Take pride and confidence in yourself where if someone doesn't like you for you, there is no place in your life for them. You will know when you find a true friendship, a friendship that will withstand the worst and make the best times better. Be thankful for it because that person will be with you through a lot.

Don't change who you are for someone else, especially when trying to find your person to spend forever with. I promise, no matter how much you won't believe it in times of your life, and even where I am now, there is someone out there who will love you exactly where you are and for exactly who you are. Don't compromise your standards. There will be moments in your life where you will feel so lonely and unwanted but always remember how loved you are by so many people. Don't listen to the lies that are trying to take hold in your mind.

You have so much ahead of you and so do I, but looking back on where I have been since I was you, I get to see how amazing and beautiful life is, even through the darkest storms. Don't take any moment for granted because it all goes by so fast. Take in the good times and learn from the bad. I can't wait for you to travel through this journey. I'll meet you again one day soon.

Sincerely,
The future you