Writing tips

A Love Letter To Writing And Creativity

We've had an on-off relationship for a long time, but I couldn't live without you.

94
A Love Letter To Writing And Creativity

When I was seven, I attempted to keep a secret diary, and that did not go well. When I was eleven I loved to write little stories and had a whole notebook of stories I wanted to keep adding onto, and, looking back, they definitely were not Pulitzer Prize worthy. Throughout my life, I've felt both motivated and unmotivated to tap into my creative side, citing writer's block, a busy schedule, or just plain old laziness. However, after taking the exact opportunity that allows me to write this article for you today, along with my own personal jumps back into creativity, I've fallen back in love with the creative process again, even the bad parts. I'm glad to be able to see the positive impact it has had on my life so clearly now.

Writing and reading have always been some of my favorite ways to relax, and I've never needed that more than in college. I've talked about this a lot, but I love reading a book or writing something more than Netflix sometimes when my eyes really need a break from the screen. I love brainstorming ideas for my next article or writing about something I think is important in my journal, and reading a good book is unparalleled with how relaxing it can be. My assignments often need me to stare at a computer screen for hours to do online readings or to work for hours to complete an assignment with ten problems (that all seem to have eight different parts).

Taking time to power off that screen and relax my eyes while still challenging my mind through coming up with something creative is amazing. Even writer's block, that dreaded fiend all writers and creators dread, is fun to me—it's a challenge I know I can overcome eventually, despite how long it actually takes most of the time. Facing more real-world challenges and issues has made me love the break creativity gives my mind, heart, and typically my eyes from the harsh, stressful reality that we all have to face.

Beyond this, taking these opportunities to be creative has made me look more deeply, and appreciate the creativity that goes into a lot of things that may seem mundane.

I could go on and on about the wonderful creativity and originality that the film and television world have exemplified for ages, and don't even get me started on music. But, there's also creativity in the way we communicate, how we treat one another, and how we choose to present ourselves. I'm more aware of how people, myself included, present ourselves in different situations, and what kind of creativity goes into that. If we want a certain reaction, say a laugh or a smile, we have to use some creativity in order to see that reaction play out. Being more aware of this has made me approach situations differently—instead of using the same old tired responses and reactions, I try to be more creative with how I approach my interactions, especially if I'm asked for advice or if there's a conflict. Using this creativity has made me see that cliche saying of "thinking outside of the box" is actually applicable in not just design settings but also in how we approach our daily lives. There isn't always just one right answer or one right approach, and it doesn't always hurt to try a new one.

Creativity is something that is within all of us. We all have the capacity to create to some degree, and I think that needs to be more acknowledged. Even if our creativity doesn't manifest itself in something that is widely distributed that doesn't lessen its value. We are all creative beings with imaginations and ideas different from anyone else's. Let's all take our ability to be creative and apply it to even the smallest facets of our life because I think everyone would benefit greatly if we did.