An Open Letter To Those In 2018

An Open Letter To Those In 2018

Because so many of you deserve that recognition, whether it be good or bad.

282
An Open Letter To Those In 2018

As with all 'open letters' that you could find on the Odyssey, this is an extremely personal, emotional and honest letter addressed to multiple groups of people that I have either met or have known before and/or during 2018. Here, I am not seeking to cause anything or seeking attention. Here, I am explaining, I am taking my time to let others know that I recognize their existence, how I feel and how they impacted my life. 2018 was a difficult year for me, but people made all the difference.

1. My Parents

I love you. I cannot say that enough. Thank you. I cannot express that enough. You were always there, always my number one fans, always took my side in anything that has happened. You were there when I called and the only thing I could do was quietly weep on the phone. You were there when I couldn't seem to get back up. You were there throughout every damn explanation of what is my life. I love you and thank you.

2. The Patels

It takes a while for us to respond to our texts and a while for us to catch up with everything that has happened. Each time we get to see each other, time is too short. The depth of our friendship is something I cannot describe and is something that I will never trade for anything. Our little family is something that made me feel like a part of something and I know you always have my back and just know that I got yours too.

3. My Gay Best Friend

12 minute voice notes are a great example of our friendship. I can tell you everything, feel and do anything and you'll listen. You'll listen and judge, but you'll listen. You'll tell me things about me when I can't seem to understand my life and I'll tell you things about your great personality and immense positivity when someone clouds your judgment. You're a great example of who I'd want to be.

4. Middle School Squad

We've seen each other grow and change. We've been through the weird challenges of puberty and stupid crushes on boys that didn't matter. We've talked about so many range of things that I can say that you're the people who know me best. Even though for some years our lives have been too busy to talk everyday, I still very much appreciate how we talk with ease and with confidence to each other and brighten our day.

5. My Korean Sister

We haven't talked a lot, in general. But that's okay. We are thousands of miles apart, but it's okay. Because when you actually enter Whatsapp and decide to reply, everything is the same. We're different and are constantly changing and growing, but we're the same. Our lives are so drastically different but that's the best part. Our conversation will always be on pause and will definitely resume anytime we'd like. And I appreciate that.

6. To Those Who Hurt Me

You know who you are. You know what you did. I will never understand what exactly went wrong, but I will always know what you are. Never have I seen anyone's true colors so dark and uninspiring. Only a colorblind person would fall for the weak projections of what you call bright color. I guess when you look at someone through rose colored glasses, all the red flags look like flags. (Independent)

And there are so many others that I think I should address, but I won't. Partly because I'm lazy and partly because my readers have a short attention span. If you didn't find yourself in any of these, don't worry. The great friendship OR damage that you're inflicting on my life is something I will still be grateful for.