A Letter To The Struggling Summer Intern

Hang in there, friend.
103

Hey there friend,

I am in the same boat as you. The summer intern life can get hard sometimes. Let me tell you something about this internship thing. This is important. Internships prepare you for life. I have learned some extremely valuable lessons during my internship.

You need to keep working hard. Think back to the first week, when you were so pumped and excited to go to your internship and learn all that you could. Now you have hit the wall. The stress might be getting to you, but you have to keep plowing through. Make things happen. Think of how much your boss or supervisor will appreciate you coming through and finishing your project early. Making things happen is so very important.

I’ll let you in on another secret I have learned so far this summer: people help people. Make personal calls, send thank you notes, grab lunch with people. When you do something personal for someone, they will be 10 times more likely to help you. I am serious. Making calls and personal messages for people has helped me immensely this summer. If you need something done, go the extra mile and personalize it.

If you are at a desk job especially, take some time each day to take a walk. My favorite part of my day is when I get the opportunity to walk around outside and see the sun. Remember to take a few minutes to relax. It is a great time to get blood flowing and think about new ideas for a problem you have been trying to solve for hours. Sometimes the little walk break is just what I need to keep me working at my best.

The design is in the details, and you know what, everything is detail. Keep the details of all your projects sharp and pay attention to each little part you are working on. It is important to make sure that everything that you are doing is precise, thorough, and done well! By making sure that everything is done right the first time, you avoid having to redo your work.

While it is extremely important that tasks are accomplished on time, don’t get all caught up in the stress and deadlines. Make sure you take time to enjoy the work you are doing. Laugh, and really get to know your coworkers if you haven’t yet. They are incredible people with incredible stories, and they can help you out when things get hard too.

Lastly, give it everything you got. It is just one summer. You are halfway through, don’t give up now, you can do it. Put all that you got into what you are doing and I believe you will be able to get more out of it than you even imagined.

From,

A Fellow Intern