To The High School Senior Who's Not Ready For College

It's okay to take a break.

235
Scott Webb

I've always had problems with change. When I was a high school senior, I had been in one state, one city, one house, for my entire life. So, the idea of picking up and moving to another state, another city, another school, terrified me. Having gone to a college prep school, my entire high school experience was building up to that moment, my last few months of familiarity before being thrown into a whole new life. I had no idea what this process would bring or how it would make me feel.

They always say that "things will work out in the end" or "whatever you do, it was meant to be." However, when you are staring at a list of colleges, unable to even begin to decide which one is "right for you," it doesn't seem that way. I get it. It seems impossible to even start to imagine a life so different from the one you have now.

At these times, it’s so easy to get caught up in the amount of work you have. Between tests, essays, homework, and college apps, it’s almost laughable when someone tells you to slow down. In these times of great stress, try to remember that, no matter what, life works in mysterious ways. That missed assignment, or test you should’ve studied a little bit more for, or essay you just didn’t get the chance to proofread, will not be as memorable as the board game you played with your family instead. Life is all about finding your balance. Yes, you may have an essay due tomorrow, but you also have a family who wants to go out to dinner with you. Don't skip that dinner.

I will admit, there have been times where I have chosen school over more important things, like family and friends, and that is normal. It’s okay. But choosing to find balance and fun in the craziness that was my senior year was probably the best decision I could’ve made.

Going into your senior year, it may seem daunting. College apps, essays, and visits can be overwhelming (and the switch to college life even more so!), but be sure to take your time and enjoy it. Relax. Find a few minutes to take a nap or hang out with a friend. Everything will turn out exactly the way it was supposed to in the end.

I’m not going to lie and say the application process and switch to college life is easy. My first week, I was intimidated by everything and it took time for me to figure out all of the challenges. But you will find your niche. Whether it be in a club, or in Greek life, or in a specific major, you will find your people. I have had a blast finding my identity in a place so different from my home, and you will too!