A Letter To The College Freshie

A Letter To The College Freshie

Before you head off to college, here are a few areas to touch base on: friendships, boys, classes and church.

51
A Letter To The College Freshie
Pitch Perfect

Dear Freshie,

Hey girl, hey! You may be a senior in high school and waiting on college to come in the fall, or you may be halfway through your freshman year. However, whatever part of the spectrum you fall on, I want you to know that you'll be just fine. I know you’ve worked hard to get to this point in your life, and you are on your way to great, great things.

Friendships:

I remember when I was in high school and I thought I would stay friends with most of the people I hung out with in high school during college. Sadly enough, we didn’t. Not really, anyways. I still have my high school friends on Facebook, but it’s different now. People just go their separate ways, and I want you to realize that is OK. However, you may be different than me, and you might actually keep your high school friends. On the other hand, I gained a friend from high school who I didn’t have during high school. We were in two different “cliques,” if you will, and now 7 years later, we are besties!

God has a reason for you to be with the friends you are with now, and you may see some sweet surprises along the way. For example, my parents knew each other in high school, but they didn’t reconnect till 6 years after, and then they got married.

There are people in your life who are only meant to be there for a season, and there is absolutely a reason for that.

College is full of fun, adventurous, life-giving people. Some come from all sorts of different parts of the world. I’ve met my best friends in college. I’ve also met other friends from being active in church, active in classes and also from being active in a sorority. They are the sweetest blessings! There are little connections that God makes through people you know, who know someone else who you know (if that makes sense).

OK, here we go... onto boys.

Girl, there are plenty of fine fish in the sea! But I encourage you to only hold out for the ones who really see you for who you really are. I encourage you to only date the ones who don’t mess with your heart, the ones who are gentlemen, friendly and warm and who love Jesus. There are so many out there who love Jesus!

Here is a word of advice: if a man says he only wants to “hang out” with you, drop him. And drop him like a fly.

If you want to be in a committed relationship, don't settle for just a "hang out." You should expect respect from the man you like, and you should also respect yourself. You are a treasure. You are worthy of a pursuit and not just a "Netflix and chill." There is no need for a “hang out.” A man who really wants to get to know you will value you and respect you. He will take you out on a real genuine date(s). Save your valuable time for someone who really deserves it.

Classes:

OK… take a deep breath. Actual college classes are not as hard as you think they might be. The first two years of college are what we call your “core classes.” These help you get the feel of college. As long as you try your best, you, my friend, will be golden.

If you are having trouble in a class, I would try to make friends with someone, and then study together. For example, I emailed someone in my world history class for help. We became such good friends, and then, three years later I went to her wedding. Another helpful hint I will add is that it is so important to ask your teachers for help. After all, you are paying to be taught in their class, so take advantage of it, and don't feel lame. We all need help in our studies.

One last side note: it may sound silly, but show up on time to class. And when I say on time, show up at least five to 10 minutes early. It’s embarrassing to show up late, because everyone looks at you. It also doesn’t help to miss class, because you miss what everyone else is learning. So go to class girl, you’ve got this!

Church:

I know it’s hard to get out of bed in the morning on a Sunday, but I encourage you to find a church that is right for you. Find a girl friend, and try out a few churches and see if you connect with any. The world says that college student’s sway away from the church as soon as college hits, but I’m here to tell you those statistics are not true. I’ve met some of my best friends from church. We all need community, and we need to be poured into. I believe church is the place to go for that.

Church for me is like my home. I always feel loved and cherished and like I’m getting fed a big fat meal to last me all week till I come back. That meal is Jesus. Jesus pours into all of us at church, and if you walk through those church doors, I promise you that you’ll feel refreshed and renewed and ready to tackle the week that is ahead.

So freshie, don’t worry your sweet, little heart about anything, Jesus sees you, and He will help you with school, church, boys and friendships. He has everything perfectly aligned for your life. Trust Him that He will do all He has planned for you!

College isn't as hard as you think it might be. You'll do just fine!

Sincerely,

Jordan Brittain