Letter To My Sister

To My Little Sister As I Head Off To College, I'm still here for you

Some advice before I leave

5
https://unsplash.com/photos/B_p4WHDwFmU

To my little sister as I leave her for college, I'm still here for you.

I know it must be hard, suddenly becoming the only child in the house. I know it must be weird, with the room next to yours empty and the bathroom devoid of my hair product collection. I know it must be lonely, sitting in your room drooping over your homework with no one distract you every minute of the day.

I know all this, and I just want to say that I miss it too.

You're starting seventh grade now, which was honestly a pretty difficult year for me. I struggled academically and socially, and I first began exhibiting signs of depression and anxiety. You've got the same genes as I do, but I hope and pray you don't get bogged down by the same torturous feelings that afflicted me when I was your age.

Remember that just because you're a little weird, doesn't mean you deserve to be treated any less than anyone else. Stick to your guns. If you love something, go for it, because it's ultimately your life and your choice what you do with it. You don't want to look back on middle school and regret every self-loathing thought (though that may be unavoidable).

Keep in mind that you should keep your mind open, though. Don't block anyone off for how popular or unpopular they are and don't refuse any advice from your friends or teachers without considering why it was given. Take some chances. If someone recommends a song, listen to it. If someone recommends a new tv show, give it a go. There's a lot to discover about the world, and you've got all the time in the universe to do it.

Please don't stay friends with those mean girls, if you can help it, by the way. It's not worth it. You're a smart girl, and I know you've got a great heart, so I don't expect this to be a problem. If someone is awful to you or someone else, you're not obligated to interact with them. Take how someone treats others as a sign, as a matter of fact. Make sure your friends aren't just good to you but good for everyone.

Most importantly, I want you to remember that I'm just a phone call away. I'll try to visit, and I'll make plans if I can to come and see you, but you've got to take some initiative here. If something happens, I need you to reach out. I don't care if it's French homework or a fallout with your best friend or a fight with mom and dad—tell me. I care about you, but I can only help you if you let me.

Love,

Your Big Sister