A Letter To Second Semester High School Seniors

Your life is about to change, so here's my advice.

72
Unsplash

Hello all second semester high school seniors! I know what you are going through right now; trust me I do, because I was there at this time last year too. The semester may have just started for you, but I know that all you can think about is the impending results of college applications, your senior projects and the end: graduation. As busy as your life might be, take the advice that I am about to give you because I wish someone had told me this.

1. Your college application status does not define who you are.

You are at the point in time when you have either already found out about your college applications or you are about to find out. This hit me really hard in my last semester of high school. The whole process of applications was enough to make my head spin, and the dreadful waiting nearly killed me. I found out about all of the schools I had applied to except one, and that school was the only school that I was truly set on going to. I kept telling myself I would surely be admitted, but when the results were finally posted, I was absolutely devastated that I did not get into my dream school. Seeing the people around me get into that school and knowing that I didn’t really killed me. It took time, but I choose where I am now, and I am truly the happiest I have ever been. I am grateful that I am here rather than my first choice. So truly, if you do not get into the school you wanted to get into, I promise that things happen for a reason and you will be happy.

2. Best friends drift apart, but don’t let that stop you from being best friends.

I love the friends I had in high school, and I still chat with them daily. I knew, inevitably, though that I would drift from these people. There is a huge difference between seeing people everyday and seeing people a few times a year. It doesn’t mean that you’re not friends anymore, it just proves to you who truly wants to be your friend. On that note, friendships change. You will see that once you get into college when everyone you know literally goes off into a hundred different directions. Just know that this last semester you have with your friends will be a semester you won’t forget, and remember to enjoy every minute of it.

3. Appreciate your parents and all that they do for you.

When I was in my last semester of high school, I didn’t realize how dependent I was on my parents. I had liked to think, like so many other seniors, that I knew what I was doing and that I could do whatever I wanted. I underestimated the value of a family meal together or going somewhere as a family. Now that I am in college, I call my parents at least every other day, or sometimes multiple times a day, and I would give anything to have family dinners together again. Being in college makes you realize how much your parents did for you, so my advice is to thank them. Thank them for all they do because I wish I had when I was still living at home so I could show them how much I love and appreciate them.

4. Do not freak out about the little things.

You are about to go through some major changes in your life. In a few months you will be graduating and then leaving your hometown. With all of the big things mentioned, you really shouldn’t freak out about the little things you might be worrying about. Take this time in your life and use it to be happy and nearly carefree before your soul gets sold away to the institute that is the college experience. Take this time to enjoy the people you have around you. Take this time to love yourself and to make sure that you are happy. This is the last time that you will be told what to take in school, so get excited about getting to be in control of what you study and learn! Also enjoy being at the top of the chain, because you go right back to the bottom once you graduate.

5. Stress is temporary.

With everything you have going on right now, I know that you are more than beyond stressed about everything. Stress is natural and annoyingly prevalent in everything you do. I remember all the sleepless nights I had last year and how badly my hands shook during my final presentations. I don’t want to say that it goes away for good, because it doesn’t. My stress came back once I started college and it hasn’t left either. Once your major assignments are done, you get to relax. So push through and you will make it to the end, I promise.

There are so many more things that I wish I could tell you. There are so many things that I wish I had known when I was in your position. These last few months will be filled with a lot of emotions and a lot of stress. But there are so many great things that will come out of your last semester. You will make some amazing memories and have an incredible summer. So take what I have told you into consideration and live out the rest of you final semester in high school. Good luck!