An Open Letter To Nervous Freshmen

An Open Letter To Nervous Freshmen

Don't be...College is WAY better than high school and anyone who says otherwise is just wrong!

57
An Open Letter To Nervous Freshmen
Ethan Williamson

It's crazy to think that this time a few years ago I was shopping for my freshmen dorm room. I had just gotten done my New Student Orientation and was excited to begin my college journey. Although things seemed to be looking up after meeting some new friends that night, I was still VERY nervous. Going into college, I did not have many friends and thought the same thing would happen again with so many people from my high school attending Penn State. I was so nervous that I would not find my place in such a huge school.

Fast forward a few years and I am now a senior, confident with the decision I made and lucky to call my Penn State my second home. Here are some tips to get you through your freshman year jitters:

1. You may struggle to make friends at first, and that's totally normal!

Posting on your class Facebook page and exchanging social media can only do so much. Sure, this may help in the beginning to have some familiar faces to turn to, but more often than not these people are temporary. The people that you hang out with the first month of college may or may not become your best friends and either way, that's OK. As a senior, I can tell you that I met most of my close friends more naturally, through classes or nights out rather than social media.

2. You may want to go home after the first few days. 

I remember feeling so homesick the minute my family left and I was all alone in my dorm room for the first time. I tossed and turned a million times that night and couldn't get any sleep! All my nerves made me feel sick and to make matters worse, I wasn't the biggest fan of the people on my floor. I was never one to have many guy friends and living on a whole floor of them was definitely a huge adjustment. Fortunately, all those floor bonding activities only lasted a few days and after that, we were free to hang out with whoever we wanted.

3. You may or may not get along with your roommate, especially if you went random like me. 

Yes, those horror stories you hear about do happen, but more often than not, this is not the case. My freshmen roommate was certainly different than I thought he would be when we first messaged each other. In person, we did not connect as well, but that's OK. I am still glad that we roomed together because we got along well enough and kept the room clean, which is honestly all you need in a roommate situation.

4. You may not do as well academically your first semester as you wanted. 

With everything else that you have to adjust to, academics may not be as high as a priority as it was to you back in high school. You may not get straight A's and you may fail an exam or two that you studied for. Don't be too hard on yourself! You're still getting used to the format of college exams and grading scales. You will get the hang of it and do better next semester.

5. You may spend more money than you wanted. 

Without your parents being around to cook your meals or buy you things, you may not know how to manage your funds. Sure, you have meal points, but with so many other options besides the dining halls, it's hard not to eat out. You may be tempted to buy excess amounts of game day gear. You may also be tempted to online shop more often to cope with your stress.

6. You may or may not find your place by joining Greek Life or other clubs/organizations. 

As a freshman, I definitely recommend becoming a part of as many things as possible because you never know what will be the best fit for you (you can always quit or drop out later). By joining clubs and organizations, you have something productive to do with your free time (which you have a lot of during the first semester) and are able to meet people of all grade levels. I am one of those people who, despite joining several organizations, has not found their home in any particular one. However, I have found individuals in each that I really enjoy hanging out with.

7. You may get lost and end up not getting a seat in class. 

I definitely recommend taking advantage of the Sunday before your first day of classes to go through your schedule and try to find all your classes. Although you are totally going to look like a freshman, I also suggest using Google Maps to avoid being late. Teachers are normally understanding if you are late in the beginning and in larger lecture halls will not say anything to you.

8. You may or may not become involved with the party scene. 

Going to such a large college and living in a dorm of all freshmen, it is only natural that you may feel some pressure to go out at night. I did not party in high school, but when the first Thursday came around, I was with all the other freshmen on the Whoop. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and newness of it all, but please be safe. Also, if you chose to stay in, know that nobody is going to judge you for it. Although harder to find, there are people just like you to hang out with and other alternative activities to do.

It is only natural to be nervous about leaving home for the first time and living on your own. However, keep in mind that literally EVERYONE is in the exact same position as you. Put yourself out there and know that FaceTime was made for a reason. Slowly, you will become adjusted and dread coming home, having to leave all your new friends behind. And before long, you will be that senior, not wanting to graduate and holding on to every last minute of it all.

Sincerely,

Someone who has been there (and MORE than survived!)