The Letter I've Been Hoping To Write To Myself

Something I've hoped to write for a long time.

133
Angela Wrather

Dear Jake,

It has been a long, meandering ride to 2017. Moviesque at times, with the various conflicts, resolutions, and so on. So many experiences, positive and negative, to take in and learn from. The highest of highs, and some lows that are unfathomable. There are so many things to say about it all that I want you to keep with you as you go along, whether you struggle or thrive.

First, change is as natural as life itself. It sucks at times, it is not easy, and there may be many that you do not like, but there will certainly be changes you do like, and you’ll adapt in time and embrace what you don’t. believe me; I didn’t know what to expect when we moved away from Middletown, but I’ve come to like where I am now, and I’ve met some great people I couldn’t dare to replace, and had some experiences that served me better than anything I could’ve imagined. Whether it be in school, at home, with friends, anywhere in life, be willing to embrace it. Challenge it head on. It will get you further in life than you could ever imagine.

Second, keep that faith in the Man above, especially during the tough and good times. In fact, retain that childish faith that was instilled in you. Pray often. Talk to God about the big and the little, the enormous and the trivial. Sometimes, when no one is listening, He provides you with a better ear than you could have from a person. Though it may be difficult and sometimes tedious to do it, keep the faith with a vice-like-grip around it, for it will be so beneficial to you.

Keep your friends close to you, and I mean as close as you keep your family. Believe me; though they may not be related in any way to you, sometimes, they become your family. They can transcend the typical boundaries and become your “brothers” or your “sisters”. They’re more than just people who you simply interact with. They’re part of you, they leave their mark on you. Their music, their habits, even their vocabulary becomes ingrained within you. Don’t let that disappear.

Pursue your passions incessantly. Soccer, music, learning, etcetera. Chase after them with an unimaginable zeal. Keep that fire within you burning. When you begin to doubt your own interest in your passions, find your ways to push forward and keep them as part of your being. They benefit your life, adding to the wealth of information and teaching you lessons about who you are.

Finally, NEVER give up. Be resilient in the face of adversity. When everything with Emily and what followed happened, it was difficult. All I wanted to do sometimes was simply give up. However, I know that’s not what she wanted of me. I knew what Emily wanted was for me to push. She wanted me to strive for excellence. I always look back at that time and draw so much strength. I aspire to have her strength, and you should too.

Kid, you have the world at your feet. You’ll be a star. Just heed my words. You’ll do great things in time. Go for it and reach for every star you can.

- Jake