A Letter To My Survivor On Mother's Day

A Letter To My Survivor On Mother's Day

You are so strong, you are so kind, and generous.

40
A Letter To My Survivor On Mother's Day
Stephanie Therrien

Mother's Day is a beautiful day to appreciate love, happiness, and family. Some people aren't lucky, their angels are no longer here to celebrate with them. Some people don't even know who they owe their life to. I, however, am blessed to have my mother right by my side, and I mean that in entirely.

It's been 415 days since you went to the doctors and were told you are CANCER FREE. I remember the way your voice shook when you told me. I remember the hot tears that ran down your face. "The doctors don't think it's anything serious." That's what you said to me, but how can you believe such a thing? Cancer is cancer. It's malicious and controlling; it's unpredictable.

You were diagnosed during my senior year of high school. I don't think you realized what went through my head when I heard those words. I felt guilt, and anger, and overall fear. I had worked so hard for four years and you needed to be there watching me graduate, you needed to watch my senior night of softball, you needed to be there to send me off to prom, you needed to remind me of all of my due dates, and inspire my college decisions.

I laid awake so many nights in tears, fearful of what could happen to you. I needed you.

The day of your surgery was a difficult one. We sat around waiting and hoping everything went as planned and that nothing had spread. We were strong because we saw how strong you were, even though we knew you were terrified. You taught us strength. We were going through so much between you and grandma's cancer too, but somehow you made things hopeful. You showed courage. Courage is not always a thunderous roar but rather the way you'd look at us with your puffy eyes and tired face and simply say "it's going to be alright."

I remember when you came out of surgery; you were loopy (and a comedy show I might add). The one thing you kept asking me is "did you eat dinner?" In that moment, it hit me... the selflessness and care a mother will always provide to you no matter what their circumstances are. I'm blessed to have that.

All the times you've punished me, yelled at me, fought with me - it's all out of love. This Mother's Day is extra special for our family; we now have a few angels watching over us, and I thank God every day that you're not one of them.

Cancer did not care that you were young. Cancer did not care that you had four children who needed their mother, it did not care that our family was already going through hell or that it wasn't playing fair. Cancer did not hold back or give breaks. It pinned you against a corner, and even still you kicked some major ass.

You are so strong, you are so kind, and generous. You are loved and appreciated whether or not it always feels that way. None of us would be where we are without you and just because it's been 415 days since your fight with cancer ended, don't think for a second we take that for granted or forget the battle you fought. You are the glue that holds this family together. You are the inspiration and source of love. You are the best mother that four girls could ask for. Thank you, mom.