A Letter To My Sister In Her Senior Year Of High School

Each day, slow down and smell the damn cliche roses.

1786
Alexandra Comer

This is an open letter to my sister during her senior year of high school,

If I am being honest, there have been plenty of times since I was four years old when I wished I was an only child. But here's a secret I haven't shared with you: I don't know who I would be without you.

I would probably be about half of what I am today. I wouldn't have my partner in crime to discuss all my awkward and embarrassing encounters with boys with- and we both know I have a lot of them- nor would I have anyone to chow down Chinese with we talk. You have been my shoulder in times I didn't recognize myself and needed the support; you brought me up at my worst, and I could never thank you enough for that. Even though you are my younger sister, I have learned more from you than you could believe, and I hope it has been reciprocated in return.

There has been an abundance of times we've fought for the most minuscule of reasons, and every damn time dad told us to stop because "we would become each other's best friends as we got older." And as I've gotten older, I have come to realize how accurate that was. I could never imagine not having you in my life; you have become my best friend.

I am so proud of the woman you are becoming. You are one of the strongest people I have ever met. Growing up, there were times that challenged our limits, and you conquered them with so much strength, and that is something I so dearly admire. Your passions are shining in all your endeavors, and you are going to accomplish such incredible things. Remember that the sky is not even the limit.

Always remember to push through. Life has this way of testing our limits, and through every hardship comes an opportunity for growth and progression. Our strength is not defined on the days we feel our best, but on the days we struggle getting out of bed. You will look back, and take in the view; you will make it. You will be amazing.

Right now, you're a senior in high school. I know this is such an emotional time in your life. One foot is in college, ready to embark on a whole new adventure because you just crave a change from our small town, but at the same moment, the other is still clasped to what's at home.

Always take things day by day. Enjoy the single moment you are in. Cherish those whom you share it. And look forward to all that is ahead of you. I promise, there is a world much greater outside of our small high school. There is so much more out there, and I am so excited to see you take it on. I have not a doubt in my mind that you'll be amazing. You will be challenged, but take on all you do with grace and dignity.

I appreciate all the times you've covered for me and probably will cover for me in the future. There are just some things I can only trust you with, and I hope you know I always have your back in return.

Whenever there's conflict with someone, I'm always on your side. If you need someone to rant to, I am all ears. I will always be your person, whether you need someone to confide in, to gain support or an honest conversation, I have your back no questions asked. I would take a bullet (probably not to the heart but maybe to the leg) for you.

There are going to so many times when you're too stressed (and you don't feel #blessed) and I want you to know I've been there and I live to tell you I've made it out alive.

You're at a point in your life where so many things are changing at a quick pace. Embrace it, girl. You are about to embark on the best damn time of your life.

You're my best friend, and I love you more than you could ever know.

All my love, always,

Your older sister