A Letter To My Freshman Roomies

A Letter To My Freshman Roomies

To the three special girls who know me best: Thanks for everything.

To the three girls who know me best,

The first semester of our freshman year is coming to an end and I can’t believe how fast four and a half months have flown by. I have met a ton of new friends and made twice as many memories – but the friendship that I have developed with my roommates is one that I cherish more than anything. We have seen each other succeed in great ways and we have stood by each other through each failure (shout out college algebra). No matter how amazing or how terrible the situation, I can count on three girls standing by my side.

Thank you for keeping my outfits looking fleeky.

I can almost guarantee that wherever I am going, I’m wearing at least one article that isn’t my own. Each outfit is carefully analyzed and experimented with until I’m wearing the perfect combo. Thank you for always taking time to focus on me even though we all have places to be.

Thank you for keeping me humble.

“Whitney… your contour looks like a bruise.” Even though I’m basically a professional makeup artist, I always have three sets of eyes to make sure I haven’t made a mistake. Although it’s a tragic realization, I am grateful to have friends who give me the gentle reminder that I live in a dorm in Tallahassee and not in a penthouse on the Upper East Side. Thank you for keeping me grounded to who I am even when I am in full diva-mode.

Thank you for simultaneously making me feel like a rock star.

I have grown monumentally throughout the past four months, but growth comes with difficulty. Through every failed test, every night of homesickness, every mid-week crisis, and every bout of hurt feelings, I have had three people to build me up and help me to remember my worth. Thank you for never failing to bring me back to reality when I am feelin' blue.

Thank you for being my home away from home.

Leaving my friends, family, church, and small-town that I have lived in forever was a scary thought. I don’t love change and I wasn’t sure how well I would do away from familiarity. I am so blessed to have found three girls that have become sisters to me. Thank you for being by my side through the good moments, the bad moments, and the hyper moments/hours (oops).

Thank you for being my Proverbs 27:17 friends.

“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” Thank you for making me feel sure that I can be 100% transparent with you. I have always been a person to hide what I’m feeling and keep my emotions bottled up inside. Thank you for letting me show all sides of myself to you and yours to me. You have helped me to realize that my many flaws are okay. Thank you for loving me for both my imperfections and my gifts.

There are absolutely no words to describe my appreciation for my roommates. As crazy as life gets, I always know that I can come to them for anything. Thank you for being the solid ground that I can count on throughout this new season. I can’t wait to see where our special friendship will take us and I am beyond excited to be a part of each of your lives.

To the three girls who will be in my life forever, thank you.