A Well-Deserved Thank You Letter To My Ex

New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.
1167

I never thought there would come a day when I would be without you. You were my other half, my best friend, and number one fan. You knew all my secrets and all my stories behind every scar. When we went our separate ways, I was devastated and thought I would never get over the thought of you. However, here I am, without you in my life, and I’m happy and surviving just fine. Actually, I’m doing even better. The moment you left felt like the end for me, but little did I know that it was actually just the beginning. It took some time, but now I see the good and the bad in our relationship, and how blind I really was. I can gladly say that I can finally write this letter and mean every single word of it.

So, thank you.

Thank you for showing me that you weren’t what I wanted in a relationship. It took some time to see, but I finally realized that I needed more than what you could give. Thank you for showing me that I needed someone who would rather go on an adventure with me than sit inside and play video games all day. Thank you for never opening a single door or pulling out a single chair for me, so whenever I found someone who does, I wouldn’t take it for granted. Thank you for showing me that I needed a stronger love to tame my wild heart. That I needed someone who was going to run with me in this thing called life, and not someone that I would have to drag along. Thank you for lying to me, betraying me, and hurting me. Thank you for helping me learn to love being alone and showing me that I could be independent and do just fine. Through it all, you showed me exactly how I didn’t want to be treated in a relationship. You showed me what to look for and avoid when looking for a partner. You taught me valuable lessons that I could only learn by what you put me through. Thank you for helping me realize that I needed to raise my standards because you never seemed to live up to them. Because of your mediocre love for me, I can now appreciate the feeling of loving someone and receiving it back on the same level. Let me tell you, it feels amazing.

So, again, thank you. Thank you for the good and the bad. Thank you for being the best example of what I don’t want to spend the rest of my life with. Thank you for teaching me lessons I would not have learned, had it not been for our time together. I wish you nothing but the best.