A Letter To My Mom

Dear mom,

Thank you for always being there, whether it was for an athletic event, school trouble, bad decisions, or even a broken heart, you have never left my side. You are the Lorelei to my Rory. The first person I want to call when I have big news. The only person I will admit to that I have messed up. I can always count on you for words of encouragement or a much-needed reality check.

You've always told me that my dreams were never too big, that a woman could accomplish all the same things men can, and that is the most important thing to me. You didn't just have one role to fill, but two.

You did this with such grace and without resistance by killing bugs in my room, evacuating the monsters in my closet, holding my hand through hard times, and wiping the tears from my cheeks after a tough day.

You have always provided me with everything I need from clothes on my back to my first car to drive. Our dinners might have consisted of pie and cookies, but I never went hungry. I can't wait to take care of you when you get old, even though you used to say it would be okay if I got kidnapped because they'd bring me back after 30 minutes. :)

My favorite nights with you are when we both get our own pint of Ben & Jerry's and binge watch whatever Netflix series has peaked our interest at the time. I don't say it enough, but thank you. Thank you for never leaving me. Thank you for always reminding me that I'm beautiful.

Thank you for showing me what a strong independent woman looks like. Thank you for being a great example of what I need to be for my daughter. Our relationship may not be perfect, we fight non-stop (mainly because we have the same attitude and know what buttons to push), you push me to be my best self and I don't always agree, but at the end of the day I know you will always love me.

"My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn't do whatever I wanted and whomever I wanted to be. I don't know if she realized the person I most wanted to be was her." -Rory Gilmore