A Letter To Confused College Students: Money Or Fulfillment?

As many of us are choosing majors, should we focus on chasing our passions or money?

5
Unigo

As many college students and soon to be high school graduates are leaving school for the summer, many of us are still pondering what it is we want to do with our lives. The choice we make now in terms of major, our entire focus in college, will determine the direction our lives take. There are many options at many schools, all hopefully leading us to a point in our lives where we are self sustainable and no longer in need of our parents. Hopefully everyone finds what they want to spend the rest of their life doing. But what do you do when you find out that the professions surrounding you major of choice simply are not hiring?

Do you risk choosing a major, knowing that getting a job will be difficult? Do you choose another major? This past year as I was studying to be an architect, I thought it was what I wanted to do with my life. After doing one year, I found that architecture is something I am capable of doing, but I felt no drive or passion for it. I found that there are certain things I want to accomplish in my life, and it seemed as though architecture was the wrong option, because I couldn't ground any of my true goals in it. If everyone has a certain natural skill set, one they are given to attack life, mine simply wasn't in use. Then an opportunity to take another major came up, one that allows me to use my natural abilities and would allow me the assets to accomplish my life goals. But to my dismay, after conversations with family members and a little research, I found myself asking the question, "If I choose this major, will I be able to get a job when I graduate?"

We're all aware of the idea of the "starving artist" that so many of us have come to detest. What do you do when your passions make you question your ability to provide for yourself? I find it hard, as I decide between a major where I am fairly certain a lucrative career awaits, that doesn't feed any part of me, that I cant see myself doing everyday. Or a major where I am unsure of the job, but I am certain that it will play into my interests, and I will be driven everyday to strive to be better with passion. A part of me wants to say that pursuing anything with true vigor and passion will eventually pay off. But is this the reality? What do you choose? Something that will give you joy to wake up and do everyday, or something that ensures your future?

There is no right or wrong answer, as I am sure that this will vary between person to person. But take solace in that you are not alone. There are many of us, trying to figure out our passions, and trying to see where they fit into the rest of our lives. Many of us are existing in these hard states of transition, as we try to prepare ourselves to attack the world. Keep going, its okay to switch majors, try a few, and really understand what you want. And perhaps we can all find a way to pursue our passions and make a sustainable living. But do not feel like you have to decide now, there are so many options, and do not allow yourself to get stuck in the first thing you choose, if you cant see yourself doing it for the rest of your life. Explore options, and think what is it that you really want to accomplish in your life and try to balance that with the kind of like you want to be able to live. You got it.